Polypterus congicus Growth Rate (The Giant Bichir)/Any Other Polypterus congicus Growth Stories?

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
A good example on the growth rate of Polypterus congicus:

Polypterus congicus is recognized as the largest known Polypterus species. The largest wild-caught specimens have been found at 42 inches in length.
Their massive size also reflects on their growth rate. These fish are extremely fast growers for the first 2 years of their life, but they slow down as they grow older.
This is my Polypterus congicus, named Bubba, who I got back in April of 2020:

20210119_162322[1].jpg

20210120_100826[1].jpg

He is now 16 inches long.
Would you be surprised if I told you I got him at 7 inches?
This photo is of Bubba with his other smaller congicus friend on the day I got him:
(Bubba is the longer one on the right)

2624[1].jpeg

As you can see, Bubba's growth was tremendous over the past 9 months.
The other congicus in the photo had a slower growth rate, but he is now pushing 14.5 inches.
With good care, congicus are capable of growing at very fast rates.

Thanks,
Polypterus_36

Josh's Fish Josh's Fish

Last edited:

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
How often do you feed? That's impressive growth.

I have an 8" in quarantine right now. Fed him yesterday for the first time since I got him (1 week after the fact). Just going to finish this initial round of deworming (and an additional 2 more cycles) then decide whether I grow him out solo or transfer him into my main tank.

Reactions: Polypterus_36

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
How often do you feed? That's impressive growth.

I have an 8" in quarantine right now. Fed him yesterday for the first time since I got him (1 week after the fact). Just going to finish this initial round of deworming (and an additional 2 more cycles) then decide whether I grow him out solo or transfer him into my main tank.
Very cool!
I feed daily with weekly waterchanges.

Sorry for the late response.

Reactions: Jafar P Arab
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store