Polypterus jumping?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey all,
i have a quick problem again. My polypterus lapreidei who is around 11 inches has recently started jumping out of the water trying to get out. Sometimes I will hear splashing and go to the tank and watch him consistently (5 times) go to the surface and jump. The water quality seems fine and I do weekly water changes. The only change is that I rearranged the tank and he doesn't have his "cave" anymore. I put in a plastic clear tube structure for her to use but she doesn't use it and she "lives" or stays near the filter intake. Could her jumping be because of stress from no hiding area? Also another thing she does is se will try to lay ontop my drift wood, which comes out of the tank and have her tail and part of head out of water. She is still eating normally and acts normally as well. Any poly owners who experienced this please input! thanks so much!

Ray

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey all,
i have a quick problem again. My polypterus lapreidei who is around 11 inches has recently started jumping out of the water trying to get out. Sometimes I will hear splashing and go to the tank and watch him consistently (5 times) go to the surface and jump. The water quality seems fine and I do weekly water changes. The only change is that I rearranged the tank and he doesn't have his "cave" anymore. I put in a plastic clear tube structure for her to use but she doesn't use it and she "lives" or stays near the filter intake. Could her jumping be because of stress from no hiding area? Also another thing she does is se will try to lay ontop my drift wood, which comes out of the tank and have her tail and part of head out of water. She is still eating normally and acts normally as well. Any poly owners who experienced this please input! thanks so much!

Ray

Just make sure there is no gaps for the lap to get through and hopefully she will calm down.

Reactions: jaws7777 and kno4te

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
What are the tankmates, maybe its getting bullied
Cause even a poly is stress it will not try to jump out the tank, the only thing that will make it jump out is if the water is bad or its trying to avoid something.

Reactions: magpie

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The water is at around 80-84 F and the filter is turned up high so yes there should be adequate aeration.
Maybe reducing the temps down might help to reduce the jumping. Why are the temps so high?

Reactions: magpie

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
What are the tankmates, maybe its getting bullied
Cause even a poly is stress it will not try to jump out the tank, the only thing that will make it jump out is if the water is bad or its trying to avoid something.
there are oscars who i don't see really bully but do try to scare away. Maybe thats the reason

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store