Polypterus Personalities

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Hey, guys! You've all had such helpful advice, I thought I would ask this instead of trying to google it. I currently have 1 albino sen, 2 sen, and 1 del in a 40 gallon grow out tank. They are getting pretty big now, and I am setting up the 100 gallon. I want to get at least one more bichir before the move, but I love the personalities of my sens and get sad about the del only coming out at night. Looking for a sub species UJ that I don't have that won't hide (like I have heard ornates do) I like how palmas polli looks. Any suggestions?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
P polli is always a good option. Mine is always out and swimming. The other choice would be Senegalus and u have that already.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
A shortbody senegal bichir would be a change from the 3 normal senegal bichirs you have if you decided to go down that route.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
One of my all time favorite looking upper jaws has to be the gold dust... I’ve owned them twice now and both were the absolute worst when it came to actually seeing them. Best hiders ever! lol, so not a reccomend poly.

I did have a very active palmas palmas but the downside was that it was a bit on the aggressive side, but then it was a wild caught too.

A poly I wish I would have kept is a moke, not sure on activity levels, wouls ask magpie magpie or clm08k clm08k . They just remind me of mini weeksii with the way they move and act.

If you like sens you can look for variants like fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 mentioned like a short bodied. Also Long fins, platinum... just depends how much you want to spend.

And dont rule out a group of ropes, very cool looking if you can get a few of them.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
clm08k clm08k has magpie magpie moke and her own I think both are out and about. Mine is a hider. I almost never see it. It hides more then either of my golddusts. Polli would be the way I'd go if it had to be a poly that tends to be out and about. They have dropped the Palmas from polli now its just polli. Palmas is Palmas Palmas and golddust or butt or buettikoferi is Palmas buettikoferi I like to call them my butts:grinyes:. But all that said id go with a nice group of ropes over all the other choices its so much fun to watch them interact with each other and the world at large. Mine are really inquisitive, love checking out my hand. They will allow some slight handling of them without struggle.
Its funny your del is a hider all three of mine are some of the most active in the tank. In order of activity id say in my tank is sens, dels, ropes, polli, butts, then I almost never see the palmas or the moke. I see the catfish more then those two guys.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
3. Palmas Palmas
2. beutikofferi (gold dust)
1. Retropinnis

Note: Polli are not shy. Demeanor similar to Delhezi.

Rankings above as who would be best at Hide & Seek.

My recommendation is getting a Teugelsi. Very active fish and personable demeanor. Fast grower and not a threat to other polys. Compatible with your current stock. :)

342BFDD6-5672-4021-85C5-850EC02BD31F.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store