Polypterus_36's Cuban gar thread

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Sorry to hear this. I agree that the mouth or rather upper jaw looks not quite right. I don't see this with our 7, but now that I saw this, I will check them out closer.

This is a bad sign overall. Artificially bred fish abound in defects. As I said in our thread one of ours came with a misaligned snout.

I'd also say that one of our 7 is obviously thinner than others, which worries me.

Tell more, please. What you've heard?
The biggest thing I’ve heard is the they aren’t growing. I was talking to Hao Hao about his last Cubans insane growth rates. I don’t think anyones gotten these ones past 14in yet. How are yours doing?

I’ve also heard bent backs from more than one person and somebody had one with an eye that was deformed.

CD645C89-3B7A-4173-B71F-A27B20FCBACE.jpeg

95A8BF0F-AEE6-4CE7-9C55-390823AE07C3.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I concur on the absence of growth too. Our 7 seem to have been stuck at more or less a foot for a month or two or more? Time flies. They get girthier but not adding noticeable length.

:( If this is a pattern, and it sounds like it is, this is not good, not good at all...

Maybe they need an internal parasite cleansing... ? Although I've no idea how parasites could stunt the growth of length...

What did Hao report?

Reactions: Krismo962

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I put a ruler against ours. They are 13"-14". If I took them out of water for measurement, they'd likely not exceed 15". So there is some growth but slow...

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
I concur on the absence of growth too. Our 7 seem to have been stuck at more or less a foot for a month or two or more? Time flies. They get girthier but not adding noticeable length.

:( If this is a pattern, and it sounds like it is, this is not good, not good at all...

Maybe they need an internal parasite cleansing... ? Although I've no idea how parasites could stunt the growth of length...

What did Hao report?
He had insane growth more like a regular alligator gar. He fed his daily where I feed mine three times a week, but I don’t think that’d make such a significant difference that we’re getting.

841010E6-29F9-4012-8CD7-3968DAD6CFCA.jpeg

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Evidence of very low genetic diversity of Cuban gar (Atractosteus tristoechus)

Doing more research it turns out even in the wild Cuban gars are struggling genetically. I am thinking this most recent batch is an inbred batch of an already struggling population. Hopefully somebody else is successful breeding these in captivity because it seems uncertain how much longer they'll be around. I figured the aquarium trade could save these like it has for many other threatened fish species but it might be too late if we don't have any solid genetics to start with.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you so much Cowturtle. This is sad news but helpful and may explain a lot.

So crudely, Hao's went from 6.5" to eyeballing 18" in 4.5 months, that's about 2.5" per month. That's fast! His Cuban is "thicc" too! It is well fed. When was this? Is this from the current recent batches or from a while ago? Sorry. Maybe Hao has a thread on this which I could read and stop pestering you with questions?

We don't powerfeed ours, in fact, more reserved, similar to your approach. We are getting maybe an inch a month or less. They act perpetually hungry though.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hi guys, Cowturtle Cowturtle thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 just checking in on your Cubans. My two are still around and kicking but they went through some stuff, One lost an eye and the other broke his back. Happened awhile ago though and the one with the broken back is definitely improving. The Cubans back was so bent he looked like he was part boomerang. As time went on though and to my surprise it's been getting better. Still not straight but so much better.

Both injuries happened at the same time but the Gar with the broken back kept eating as matter of fact he become more food aggressive. While the one that lost an eye I struggled with feeding till about a week ago. One eye still has trouble grabbing food but is finally being more assertive. Anyway I just wanted to see how your guys Cubans where doing.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting and useful update. Thank you Kolt so much.

Not much new with our 7. I recently updated our thread on them. One is a "runtier" runt than others or might have a parasite or some other problem, thinner and only 13". Others are 15"-16" and thicker.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Interesting and useful update. Thank you Kolt so much.

Not much new with our 7. I recently updated our thread on them. One is a "runtier" runt than others or might have a parasite or some other problem, thinner and only 13". Others are 15"-16" and thicker.
Sorry I couldn't find your thread. I tried your username and Cuban Gar as the search word and couldn't find anything except your postings in this thread. Thanks for the update and if you could direct me to your thread I'd appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store