koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
They don't like strong current at all.
Ahhhh, that then is probably part of my problem. I am a firm believer in surface agitation so there is a significant amount of current in all my tanks. The other was using round cichlid pellets. I don't think they recognized it as food. I bought some frozen krill and they snapped at it, at first without much gusto but once they had a taste they became much more assertive in their eating to the point they jumped trying to snatch some krill from my hand. I worried they may injure themselves.

I am also happy that they seemed shy at first but quickly associated me with food. The second fish in recent history that almost immediately associated me with food the other being my 2 Lithodoras. The Gars are currently front and center watching me as I sit at my computer desk. By the way, thank you again stingrayguy stingrayguy

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Mine continue to do well. While I do see an occasional hunch, it's transient and short and seems to involve either maneuvering or swallowing or pushing feed down the intestine.

@Kolt, I have a strong current too in their 240 gal, 8x2x2ft. They all keep to a couple quiet zones 99% of the time. They are rather clumsy when they enter a turbulent current, unless head on. As I mentioned in this thread and in our video, waves and shaking and tossing by waves should be avoided, as they would shake and toss them to death. They keep 99% of the time at the surface. I lost little arowana, another surface fish, to the waves before. It can be deadly in 1-2 days or even overnight, if sufficiently intense.

Our vid:

Reactions: Caveden

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Would be nice to hear an update from the cuban keepers again.

Our septet has been alright. No changes to report. Eating exceptionally well. Growing a little. No hunching except as I described above. The one with the bit tail almost grew the tail back but it is clearly a runt, obviously the smallest of all 7 by an inch or 2. Hence half its tail had been bitten off at Brad's, logically.

Reactions: Caveden

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
@Kolt, I have a strong current too in their 240 gal, 8x2x2ft. They all keep to a couple quiet zones 99% of the time. They are rather clumsy when they enter a turbulent current, unless head on. As I mentioned in this thread and in our video, waves and shaking and tossing by waves should be avoided, as they would shake and toss them to death. They keep 99% of the time at the surface. I lost little arowana, another surface fish, to the waves before. It can be deadly in 1-2 days or even overnight, if sufficiently intense.
Hi Viktor, yeah; I've seen from your vids that you use strong current but I wasn't sure if you had made adjustments to the tank you keep the gars in. I've also observed they stay to the surface as well. It's a bit worrisome as I am afraid it may mean they are more likely to jump. They are beside my desk so I get to watch them often though so that at least makes me feel a little better as I can observe them often.

They love to scare me, well one of them does; on occasion splashing causing me to look at the tank. To make matters worse the same one likes to hide/rest just under/behind a HOB's outflow or resting under the tanks bracing furthest from my desk making seeing him at a glance almost impossible. So I wind up having to approach the tank to make sure everything's okay. Plus I have a Kamfa in another tank who also likes to splash. He's very food aggressive and often attacks bubbles or jumps at imagined food causing him to crash into the glasscover. It used to startle me and has actually scared people I'm talking to over the phone because of the loud bang. I finally got used to it and then I got the Cubans so I am back to square one as I don't immediately realize the direction of the sound so I wind up checking on the gars. Darn you Kamfa. lol

Would be nice to hear an update from the cuban keepers again.

Our septet has been alright. No changes to report. Eating exceptionally well. Growing a little. No hunching except as I described above. The one with the bit tail almost grew the tail back but it is clearly a runt, obviously the smallest of all 7 by an inch or 2. Hence half its tail had been bitten off at Brad's, logically.
My apologies, as I had said in some other posts to you for not responding sooner; I have been very sick. One of the sickest times in my life and have been off and on bedridden. My energy is mostly spent on my loved ones and my fish right now because I am so limited right now.

My two have been eating very well and have no signs of hunching. I guess it was the round cichlid pellets that they didn't care for as since offering the frozen krill they now eat with extreme zeal. I always use vitamin supplements on the krill but I am not happy only offering one food type especially since I'm not surre how well the krill absorbs the vitamins. For some of my bigger predators who used to only eat frozen I would treat some pellets with vitamins and then cut some shrimp and stuff the pellets in, in an attempt to give my fish access to more varied nutrition. I will probably do the same for the Cubans.

The krill was on sale(buy 2 get 1) so I bought too much and it's taking up a lot of real estate in my mini-fridge. lol So my fish have all been getting it in addition to their regular diet. Unfortunately me trying to burn through some of that krill I made the mistake of overfeeding one of my Lithodoras whose intestines became impacted. Luckily I treated him with some Epsom and he's fully recovered but that was also part of my reason for not replying. I've had some stressful fish situations recently. The Trachy(who basically is fully recovered now), the Litho and the Cubans but thankfully things have worked out(knock on wood). However they also contributed to my lack of posting, again my apologies.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Polypterus, you should have received the tests a week ago but have been suspiciously silent. Is everything ok? Have you figured out the cause of your problems with the gars? I am sure those who got involved have been waiting. I know I have been. What are your findings?

Hi Viktor, yeah; I've seen from your vids that you use strong current but I wasn't sure if you had made adjustments to the tank you keep the gars in. I've also observed they stay to the surface as well. It's a bit worrisome as I am afraid it may mean they are more likely to jump. They are beside my desk so I get to watch them often though so that at least makes me feel a little better as I can observe them often.

They love to scare me, well one of them does; on occasion splashing causing me to look at the tank. To make matters worse the same one likes to hide/rest just under/behind a HOB's outflow or resting under the tanks bracing furthest from my desk making seeing him at a glance almost impossible. So I wind up having to approach the tank to make sure everything's okay. Plus I have a Kamfa in another tank who also likes to splash. He's very food aggressive and often attacks bubbles or jumps at imagined food causing him to crash into the glasscover. It used to startle me and has actually scared people I'm talking to over the phone because of the loud bang. I finally got used to it and then I got the Cubans so I am back to square one as I don't immediately realize the direction of the sound so I wind up checking on the gars. Darn you Kamfa. lol

My apologies, as I had said in some other posts to you for not responding sooner; I have been very sick. One of the sickest times in my life and have been off and on bedridden. My energy is mostly spent on my loved ones and my fish right now because I am so limited right now.

My two have been eating very well and have no signs of hunching. I guess it was the round cichlid pellets that they didn't care for as since offering the frozen krill they now eat with extreme zeal. I always use vitamin supplements on the krill but I am not happy only offering one food type especially since I'm not surre how well the krill absorbs the vitamins. For some of my bigger predators who used to only eat frozen I would treat some pellets with vitamins and then cut some shrimp and stuff the pellets in, in an attempt to give my fish access to more varied nutrition. I will probably do the same for the Cubans.

The krill was on sale(buy 2 get 1) so I bought too much and it's taking up a lot of real estate in my mini-fridge. lol So my fish have all been getting it in addition to their regular diet. Unfortunately me trying to burn through some of that krill I made the mistake of overfeeding one of my Lithodoras whose intestines became impacted. Luckily I treated him with some Epsom and he's fully recovered but that was also part of my reason for not replying. I've had some stressful fish situations recently. The Trachy(who basically is fully recovered now), the Litho and the Cubans but thankfully things have worked out(knock on wood). However they also contributed to my lack of posting, again my apologies.
I had and have no expectations whatsoever in that general request, but thank you for this great story-update. Sorry to hear of your health problems. Will add you to my humble prayers.

Our cubans jump only when feeding and escaping pursuers looking to rob them ... and when I open a lid and throw in the feed. And not so much in the air but lengthwise or up and then quickly down wise.

I see no reason why they shouldn't take your cichlid pellets. It seems they are ready to try anything. You could presoak them with krill, in krill juices, or if the krill is dried, presoak in water both the pellets ad the krill. But now that they are comfortable, I'd try again with the pellets.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 Hey mate? Are you alright? We hope your gar have been coping. In case you lost them and are sulking, it's understandable, it hurts, we all can relate, but it'd still be useful to you to troubleshoot why, so you (and us) learn and move on. Cheer up, please. It's not the end of the world. Get a part time job and pay your father back, if you have to... If anything, it will make you better and stronger. I believe you have 75 years of fish keeping ahead of you still...

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 Hey mate? Are you alright? We hope your gar have been coping. In case you lost them and are sulking, it's understandable, it hurts, we all can relate, but it'd still be useful to you to troubleshoot why, so you (and us) learn and move on. Cheer up, please. It's not the end of the world. Get a part time job and pay your father back, if you have to... If anything, it will make you better and stronger. I believe you have 75 years of fish keeping ahead of you still...
I'm fine hahaha. Just been busy with school and all.
The Cubans are actually ok. All are still eating.
I used the water tester and apparently I was getting quite high ammonia in the tank, which I believe in return lowered my PH. I got it back to 0.0 after a water change. I've decided to up their water changes from once a week to twice a week just to keep the ammonia down.
I switched to an all pellet and tilapia diet, and the Cubans don't mind it so far.
I haven't noticed any change in their backs for the better or the worse.
Thanks for checking in.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am glad the update is not bad. If your tank shows ammonia, and then it should show nitrite too,

- both must be detoxified (if the ammonia in its toxic form is over 0.02-0.05 ppm according to an online calculator)
- nitrite is simple to detox with an addition of 100x table salt
- you need to figure out why your bioload exceeds your biofiltration capability and correct it asap.

You are not forthcoming with info and not addressing other questions and concerns and other suggested tests we had laid out before. Which is okay. I respect that and your reasons. I always argue against shoving knowledge down one's throat. I must state it is too bad though.

In the face of the little info given, I assume your problems with cuban gars arose from your tank not being cycled, not having adequate filtration. As simple and as basic as that. You gotta get your basics down and firm, such as cycling, and then buy expensive rare fish, my humble experience-based advice would be.

BTW ammonia doesn't affect pH to any significant degree because of the low concentration, but if anything ammonia is a base aka alkaline substance, hence it increases pH. Acidic substances, like e.g. CO2, decrease the pH. FWIW.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
I am glad the update is not bad. If your tank shows ammonia, and then it should show nitrite too,

- both must be detoxified (if the ammonia in its toxic form is over 0.02-0.05 ppm according to an online calculator)
- nitrite is simple to detox with an addition of 100x table salt
- you need to figure out why your bioload exceeds your biofiltration capability and correct it asap.

You are not forthcoming with info and not addressing other questions and concerns and other suggested tests we had laid out before. Which is okay. I respect that and your reasons. I always argue against shoving knowledge down one's throat. I must state it is too bad though.

In the face of the little info given, I assume your problems with cuban gars arose from your tank not being cycled, not having adequate filtration. As simple and as basic as that. You gotta get your basics down and firm, such as cycling, and then buy expensive rare fish, my humble experience-based advice would be.

BTW ammonia doesn't affect pH to any significant degree because of the low concentration, but if anything ammonia is a base aka alkaline substance, hence it increases pH. Acidic substances, like e.g. CO2, decrease the pH. FWIW.
The tank has been running for over a year and a half straight. (It used to be my old Poly tank)
I believe the filtration is adequate with a fluval fx6 and a aquaclear 110 hob. I only feed 2 or 3 times a week, with weekly water changes.
With this, I have no idea why the tank is not able to hold itself up.
Although, I might try and buy a overhead sump as well to help with my bioload, as they don't really produce a lot of flow which may be stressful for the gar.
I do dose aquarium salt every once in a while to prevent bloating issues with the Cubans.
I'm sorry for not being able to come up with all the information and findings from your suggested tests. I've been very busy with school work recently (tests, homework, PSAT / SAT), so finding time for this is hard.
With the time that is given to me though, I always spend a bulk of it with my fish. For example, water changes on all tanks happen every Friday after school, and when I have days with less homework, I feed the fish.
I'm sorry for not replying to your messages recently as well. This is also for reasons previously mentioned.
I'm trying to learn the most that I can from this experience. It sort of came at me fast, but I am not giving up. I'm am trying my best to find what's happening to my gar.
Thanks for the help and info so far Viktor. I appreciate it.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Understood. No biggie and I respect your space and reasons, as stated.

The tank can run for 10 years problem free with a smaller bioload and then not be able to handle higher bioload.

If the bioload is about the same and the tank handled it before and now doesn't, this means something significant has changed. Only you can figure out what.

One area many overlook in filtration is that the water entering biofilters must be highly aerated, the higher the better. Otherwise the limiting factor in your biofilteration capacity will be dissolved oxygen concentration in the water entering your filter, not the size of the filter, not the amount of media or its surface area, not the flow rate through the filter.

Reactions: Polypterus_36
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store