poop problem :(

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
I will make this message short because I had brain surgery which led to aphasia > language problem.

180 Gallon. I have a big overhead filter. pumps is 1700 liter / hour.

Cut a section of the aquarium / 6 inch and / made an internal filter. 2500 liter / hour.

Thouse filter are filled with 5 layer of polyfill and lots of ceramic rings.

The problems is the poop. I want it clean and it is baretank. I have 3 red severums. 1 rotkiels and 1 temporalis chocolate cichlid all sub adults. I would assume that my pumps would clear the mess and that I will just wash the polyfill every week. Not the case.

I don't overfeed. 1 minute the bulk of feeding is given. 2nd minutes they deal with they leftovers. Feeding is given 2x a day due to cold weather in Philippines.

Can anyone help with the poop problem?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Get a wavemaker and point it down towards bottoms of tank and and airstone to help debree push up towards your filter intakes. I do weekly water changes bc I hate seeing poop on my sand

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
+1 on above, place a power head near the bottom of the tank so the poop can't settle.This will help make the mess find its way to the filter intake.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Thank you every for the replies. Stanz and Alexx. I forget this is a baretank. And yes, the poop does stand out. I had blacksand and poolsand ( white) . I had to elevate to pumps from the bottom to the medium level. The sands might get caught in the impeller.

Unfortunately no more digging for the cichlids which I feel should me normal for every cichlids. Again poop still on the tank.

I have black sand , white sand, pea gravel and currently the barebottom driftwood look.

I have airstones. If i use a wavemaker, how much korolia should I use? liter per hours. Won't the severums get dizzy from the currents ?

I will convert it because all I get are china made brands. Thank you much much

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I must say I have always used sand as a substrate,along with power heads and external filters.I have never had a problem with it causing blockages.
The only drawback with sand is it can scratch glass.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
how many wavemaker should I use? 1 or 2? liter per hours. Won't the severums get dizzy from the currents ?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Just a gentle current is all that's required. Fish mess is quite light and will be moved without too strong a flow. You can get power heads that you can adjust the flow rate on to suit your requirements.
The fish will probably enjoy a gentle flow through the tank.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
If you ever get a sump, a full length return. Work s great and provides very gentle water movement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store