poop problem :(

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use PFS and never had that problem, I believe the best solution is to vacuum every other day or so. Besides getting rid of debris it dilutes the nitrates with fresh water you replace the old water with, and makes the tank healthier. The more you get metabolism by-products out of the water column all together) instead of sweeping it under the rug (in a filter) the better.

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
I use PFS and never had that problem, I believe the best solution is to vacuum every other day or so. Besides getting rid of debris it dilutes the nitrates with fresh water you replace the old water with, and makes the tank healthier. The more you get metabolism by-products out of the water column all together) instead of sweeping it under the rug (in a filter) the better.
Sorry what is PFS? Anyway I do 50 percent waterchange every week. But what I don't like to see is the poop.

Last edited:

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Hence I am going to try a wavemaker on the tank. It has to be clean and I will just have to do waterchanges. Just have to eliminate remove dead spots

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I use fine beach sand, 450 gph flow thru a 48" discharge pipe. That's mounted along the top trim.
I have 2" air lift that dumps poop and excess food, in the overflow. That goes into filter floss for removal.

I don't vacuum the sand, as it is very thin, I do bull doze it once a month.

I water change 55 gallons from 155 gallons every 6 days. Harvest 2 Oz of green hair algae every week, from a scrubber.
My nitrates stay with in 10 ppm of my tap water.

With a population of 45 African Cichlids, averaging 2.5"

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
If you have a picture of your tanks with a wavemaker or pumps please to send it here. And airlift pump? Don't know how it would work. But those algae scrubber are magnificent

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20160705_151822.jpg
In the front of the corner overflow. Their is poop, and food bits. It took a while to get it resolved.
The air lift is the clear pipe next to the black overflow. One problem was the bottom holes on the overflow are 2" off the bottom. To allow for old school gravel beds.

The air lift cured the need to siphon out waste. For a while I used a turkey baste to push the waste out of dead spots and towards the air lift.

20160609_163059.jpg
In the early set up, I had to move the cichlid habitat to clean the tank. This my older fish to become terrified of me, and would always hide. If they seen me coming.
The problem was pushing water though the tank with an even flow. My spray bar was a black articulated snake like with 450 gph nozzle and focused on one point.
I took a 48" 1/2" pvc. Drilled 1/8" holes every 5 inches. Then tested it in the bath tub,
The hole pattern is 5" for the first half, then 2.5" spacing farther down
.1485701752577.jpg
This pushes my sand dunes, food, poop towards the air lift, overflow. Completely eliminating most in tank cleaning maintenance. The sand gets bull dozed once a week.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
1485702260367.jpg
A similar return bar, on my upper tank. It is sumpless. With a built in sump pump in the back corner. This tank has some heavy pleco poop.

Reactions: smjack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store