Possible Anchor Worm Infestation

Cheekis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Hi, this is my first post in this website, so hello guys :). So, two days ago I bought a black oranda goldfish. When I got him I noticed there was a dangly piece of scale on his side, but didn't think much of it. The following day I noticed that a second one had appeared on his other side. So today I took him to my local fish store and had him diagnosed, and claimed it was anchor worm. I separated him from the main thank yesterday into a hospital tank. I'm currently treating him with API General Cure, and am awaiting to see how that goes. Do I need to pull out the two worms that are sprouting from him? He is very energetic and eating well, so he doesn't seem to be suffering at the moment.

Also since he spent a whole day and a half in the main tank (50 gallons) should I consider changing out the water or waiting to see if the only other fish (1 Ranchu) gets infected? I don't know how contagious anchor worms are so I'm worried and confused on how to proceed with this tank.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Anchor worm will spread to other fish. Did the LFS give you and meds or make any suggestions other than the GC which unfortunately is not effective against anchor worm.

Cheekis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Anchor worm will spread to other fish. Did the LFS give you and meds or make any suggestions other than the GC which unfortunately is not effective against anchor worm.
Not much, he just said to apply the medicine and pull out the worms. I tried to pull them out, but he has black velvety scales, so its hard to spot the worms, if they even were worms. The guy had a hard time seeing the worms, my fish was in a red bucket so he didn't get a proper view I don't think and I feel that maybe it was a mistaken diagnosis. I tried to remove them but they were so tiny I had a hard time spotting them against his black. I'll take a picture when I get back home after school and hopefully someone can tell what is stuck to him.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Post some pictures so we can get a look at what might be going on.

Cheekis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Here are some videos. It's very hard to see anything with a picture, so I felt maybe this way would be better. I feel like I maybe imagined it all, but there were some very apparent little things dangling off his left flank (where that lighter scale is located), and then his right flank a day later(same light scales). Maybe its not as apparent because of the container I switched him to. But maybe someone else will notice something.
image.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm sorry I can't see anything, on the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store