Progression thread of Golden Base Kamfa

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I just picked up my first flowerhorn in years. He is a Golden Base Kamfa, and will hopefully one day contribute to my crystal parrot project.

I will track his progress here, as I learn to groom him to his max potential.

His name is Inferno.

The vendors photo, he looks a bit smaller here:
3136796E-9142-4390-8DDA-A1DCECD0FAEE.jpeg

when I brought him home you can see he’s changed a bit, pigment is coming in rather than fading more in the dorsal, dont know what to think about that.

521C7C87-CE6D-4FB9-ACAE-F14090FEEB0B.jpeg

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
He is awesome looking. The black on his fin is either him being stressed from the move. Or it could be him starting to fade. Either way what an awesome looking flowerhorn!!!

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
That guy looks awesome. Are you talking about black pigments?
thanks! I wanted something that would have good red color and big pearls. So far this is the best one I’ve found locally. I can tell his red has already increased vendors old photo.

yes I was talking about the black pigments, it has increased on the dorsal fin since the older photo.

He is awesome looking. The black on his fin is either him being stressed from the move. Or it could be him starting to fade. Either way what an awesome looking flowerhorn!!!
Cool, if the people more experienced than me say he looks good then I feel good about the purchase.

I feel like heis really going to take off and go super red. I remember reading that with faders, sometimes they can lose their pearl. Is there anything I should be doing to support pearl development?

All those FH specific foods are trash right? The ingredients usually have fillers as the main ingredients from what I saw.

I’ll be giving him Hai Feng fast color, the newer formula, has improved ingredients, omegaone super color pellets, and Hikari vibra bites.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
thanks! I wanted something that would have good red color and big pearls. So far this is the best one I’ve found locally. I can tell his red has already increased vendors old photo.

yes I was talking about the black pigments, it has increased on the dorsal fin since the older photo.

Cool, if the people more experienced than me say he looks good then I feel good about the purchase.

I feel like heis really going to take off and go super red. I remember reading that with faders, sometimes they can lose their pearl. Is there anything I should be doing to support pearl development?

All those FH specific foods are trash right? The ingredients usually have fillers as the main ingredients from what I saw.

I’ll be giving him Hai Feng fast color, the newer formula, has improved ingredients, omegaone super color pellets, and Hikari vibra bites.
Get him on something from northfin or NLS, much better ingredients. I think that black would fade and his color would darken as he grows, if he looses pearls that would be genetic, not diet based.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
He has really darkened up :( Also noticed his right fin has a slight deformity.

But he is in his own 20 gallon tank for now. On the bright side, since his black pigments darkened, I’ll get to see him fade and develop his red color even more :)

On a side note, his tank does get a little sunlight daily. This is intentional, as I believe bright light exposure helps with best color and shine development. We will see :)

3B89A6B0-4C80-4A89-8C2C-9642EEF79210.jpeg

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Here’s his bright little tank setup. I’ve read that bright colorful environments help with their development, but I’m not gonna lie, I just enjoy the neon plants. :)

Most of my set ups over the years have been dark and naturalistic.

1DB38A8F-AEEA-4A43-96AB-D561DF6A5D7A.jpeg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
He has really darkened up :( Also noticed his right fin has a slight deformity.

But he is in his own 20 gallon tank for now. On the bright side, since his black pigments darkened, I’ll get to see him fade and develop his red color even more :)

On a side note, his tank does get a little sunlight daily. This is intentional, as I believe bright light exposure helps with best color and shine development. We will see :)

View attachment 1424066
Btw when it comes down to faders they do tend to fluctuate in the amount of pigment they have as they age. For an example I have my lil lady here (Star). She started out like a normal looking red dragon and faded to almost completely white as a juvi and then gained some of the black pigment back as she is now a adult. She's currently 2.5 years old and roughly 5in, she was growth stunted from birth, so not expecting to have her reach a normal max size. Also her sister is about 8in now and the same age but ended up drastically different in looks. The first pic is how Star looked as a juvi (along with some of her siblings that I no longer have, sold em) and the second is how she turned out 2 years later. She's currently got a lil more black pigment on her belly atm compaired to the 2nd pic shown but still look pretty well the same.

cameringo_20200227_020956.jpg

IMG_20200318_104434.jpg

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane thank you for the insight. So little inferno might just end up keeping some black then. That’s cool too. I hope he grows to a decent size but if he is stunted at least his future 65 won’t look so small lol

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane thank you for the insight. So little inferno might just end up keeping some black then. That’s cool too. I hope he grows to a decent size but if he is stunted at least his future 65 won’t look so small lol
Lol I currently have Star in a 35g with a 1in female kirbensis and a 4in Chinese algae eater. She is honestly the most chill FH I've ever had when it comes to tank mates. Working on making some space in the basement to move her 55g down there so she can have a bigger tank, not sure if it'll help her grow at this point or not but she atleast deserves a bigger tank regardless. I'm hoping the black pigment on her under belly goes away but if not it's not such a big deal. Hoping to get her to grow out some more and enter her into a competition, doubt she'll even place with how small she is but it would be nice to atleast experience one for once. Might even enter her big sister in just not a 100% certain on whether I want to breed her or not. This is her sister btw (Big Bertha) and yes she is a strong masculine lady lol. She currently lives with a 6in bluegill in the 65g tall.

cameringo_20200607_003348.jpg

cameringo_20200321_062324.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store