Proper way to pronounce bichir?

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
WHY BICHIR?

When Europeans (French) discovered the genus Polypterus in 1809 it had already been known along the Nile since the time of the pharoahs. The local peoples referred to them as bichirs (unknown pronunciation and spelling). While unable to come up with an exact meaning for the word it was most likely a descriptive term (''whip'' has been suggested) for this type of fish.

The French most likely pronounced it as phonetically as possible to the orginal native word and came up with bee-sheer as a pronunciation and spelled 'bichir'. Since this would be the name of these fish for
several years until they were scientifically described and put into the proper family it became an accepted common name.

However the correct English pronunciation is up for grabs. Several dictionaries all have their own pronunciation including the below:
bee cher
beech er
biker
bercheer
bi cher
bir chir is common in England
Also known by the common name lobed fin pike,dinosaur eel.
The name Polypterus : poly=many + pterus=fins and is pronounced po-lyp'-terus.

phreakyfaerie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
michigan
thanx i had actually been wondering that too

theunytedone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2010
HONORURU, HAWAII!
it irritates me that people say "polyp-terrace"

its polly-terrace. SILENT P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneoneoneone

and i also believe that delhezi is pronounced "del-hezz-ee"
it is not a latin word and thus should not be pronounced in such fashion.

Reactions: spitz006

ar0wan

Epistemologist
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Austin, Tx
theunytedone;4772345; said:
...its polly-terrace. SILENT P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneoneoneone...
I see your pronunciation
and raise you a pterodactyl

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
arguing every detail of how to pronounce latin names is asinine in the end; the scientific community even pronounces various scientific names differently...in most cases they have moved well past arguing about that and on to (at least theoretically) more worthwhile arguments and issues.

and for the record, most ichthyologists and fish ecologists i know pronounce that second "p", and when it shows up similarly in invertebrates, most entomologists and the like also pronounce it.

so, one can sound different and say it how they think is correct in the case of Latin names, but i would be slower to criticize telling other people they are wrong. won't help one's case or make many friends :) --
--solomon

Rockbass6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Lake Erie
wow this is an old thread!

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Please read the primers before posting/bumping

theunytedone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2010
HONORURU, HAWAII!
True, the correct pronunciation has diminished over time. But in respect to the fact that Latin is also the root language of the French, I try to use the language how it was taught to me thus far.

Being from hawaii, pronunciation matters very much. That's the point in trying to make.

Apologies for the slight de rail.
It is about pronunciation though...

Aloha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store