Pseudoplatystoma orinocense?

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
Aqua imports just got some these in and claim they only reach 20" in length. Planet catfish also says this but there is very little info on this species and I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this cat.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The only thing I could say is that some years ago, 3-5?, IIRC Jeff Rapps brought these in and a few members bought them. None of them reported on theirs past 10" - MFK reporting sucks. We don't know if the fish were lost or sold or what.

I think Aqua Imports merely uses the PCF / FishBase number, which doesn't mean much because the scientists who studied this fish didn't aim to catch the biggest, just whatever was caught was studied and reported in the scientific literature.

I think they should grow bigger.

wednesday13 wednesday13

Reactions: Iamfish and kno4te

Iamfish

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
www.instagram.com
The only thing I could say is that some years ago, 3-5?, IIRC Jeff Rapps brought these in and a few members bought them. None of them reported on theirs past 10" - MFK reporting sucks. We don't know if the fish were lost or sold or what.

I think Aqua Imports merely uses the PCF / FishBase number, which doesn't mean much because the scientists who studied this fish didn't aim to catch the biggest, just whatever was caught was studied and reported in the scientific literature.

I think they should grow bigger.

wednesday13 wednesday13
Ya thought that 20 inches sounded small,
You should get a few and do a real growout thread so we can see how big they get :naughty:

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I tend to think I am pulling my weight.

As I usually reply to such innovative suggestions: You buy them, I grow them :)

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
I've seen this "20 inch max." quote pop up a few times and it's unfortunately just a problem with adjusting to a new taxonomy.

Both the Amazon and the Orinoco have two common species of Pseudoplatystoma, one with irregular stripes and one with straighter (ish) stripes. For quite some time it was thought that the two species were shared between the river systems, so both P. tigrinum, and P. fasciatum were said to be found in the Amazon and Orinoco. In 2007, though, a pair of ichthyologists decided that because the two basins are more or less isolated, the species in each basin are probably different, so the two Pseudoplatystoma were given new names. The one that looks like tigrinum was called P. metaense and the one that looks like fasciatum was called P. orinocoense. In the formal description, most of the specimens examined were relatively small, simply because they're easier to work with and transport, etc.

So, for someone gathering data for fishbase, it would appear that P. orinocoense was "discovered" in 2007 when it was first described, but really, it was just called P. fasciatum before that. Most of the Orinoco is in Venezuela, which has been rife with turmoil for the last 10+ years, so very few comprehensive fish surveys have been done...but from before that, we have good evidence that Orinoco fish reached generally the same sizes as Amazonian fish.

In 2003, for example, Barbarino Duque and Winemiller published the paper "Dietary segregation among large catfishes of the Apure and Arauca Rivers, Venezuela" about Orinoco River catfishes and in it they note a 39 inch, 28 lb P. fasciatum, which would now be P. orinocoense....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
blackbullhead blackbullhead Thank you for that. If I could give you 100x likes, I would. What would you say about punctifer, reticulatum, corruscans, and magdaleniatum?

What do you think in general about the genus? I thought it has been in limbo since the last two contradicting revisions by splitters and lumpers, kind of the same as with the giraffe catfish Auchenoglanis... No?

How much is the shipping to your place then victor?:headbang2
https://www.aqua-imports.com/shop/shipping-policy/ $25 2 day, $55 overnight. Pretty reasonable. These TSN qualify for the 2 day USPS shipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dloks

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
blackbullhead blackbullhead Thank you for that. If I could give you 100x likes, I would. What would you say about punctifer, reticulatum, corruscans, and magdaleniatum?

What do you think in general about the genus? I thought it has been in limbo since the last two contradicting revisions by splitters and lumpers, kind of the same as with the giraffe catfish Auchenoglanis... No?

https://www.aqua-imports.com/shop/shipping-policy/ $25 2 day, $55 overnight. Pretty reasonable. These TSN qualify for the 2 day USPS shipment.
Okey. Hmm i might order one just to ship it to you so you can keep an journal on it.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you so much, Tobias, that's humbling to me. I am touched that you'd even think about it. As a matter of fact you have a competition in this precise and exact matter, which I haven't asked for except in the form of a sarcastic reply above. Let me see if the competition is willing to come out in the light of day from the heavily veiled shades of the PM exchanges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store