Psychedelic Arowana

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
When I was first thinking about getting into Asian Arowana, researching/learning, seeing many pix and videos, it soon became clear how crucial lighting is when it comes to showing them, even more so than most fish. Given the sheer size and nature of their scales, they're kinda like floating mirrors and usually reflect whatever color is thrown at them.

Here's a good example of the power of lighting -- local monster fish shop did a big re-modelling recently, incl. moving fish/tanks around. Personally I prefer more natural colored lighting for my Aros, but I have to say this lighting set-up looked pretty wicked, even in bright day, at night I bet it would be pretty mesmerizing to watch.

Psychedelic Arowana med.jpg

Very short clip:

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
When I was first thinking about getting into Asian Arowana, researching/learning, seeing many pix and videos, it soon became clear how crucial lighting is when it comes to showing them, even more so than most fish. Given the sheer size and nature of their scales, they're kinda like floating mirrors and usually reflect whatever color is thrown at them.

Here's a good example of the power of lighting -- local monster fish shop did a big re-modelling recently, incl. moving fish/tanks around. Personally I prefer more natural colored lighting for my Aros, but I have to say this lighting set-up looked pretty wicked, even in bright day, at night I bet it would be pretty mesmerizing to watch.

View attachment 1376834

Very short clip:

Wow that's pretty neat.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Ha ha unfortunately no, in fact weirdly enough here on the island it's not common at all to see any kind of Datnoids, even NTT's -- found mine at a little hole in the wall shop, which doesn't even regularly carry them. It's easier to find them in Bangkok, but I'd guess Dats are for sure more popular overseas than they are with locals.

When will we start seeing ST's from gov't breeding programs showing up on the market, that is the million dollar question.

Reactions: Iamfish and Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store