Pterophyllum Altum with species of Loricariidae?

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I keep and breed several of the B&W Hypans: zebras since 2oo6, L173b since 2009 (all sold/let go this year), L236 two groups: 1 from the Budrovcan line since 2012 and 1 Tank Raised group since 2016 , L450 since 2012 (all sold/let go this year), L173 two groups: 1 wild caught fish since Oct. 2015 and 1 Tank Raised group since Dec 2015. I kept and bred the contradens for several years and they too have all gone to new owwners.

173 are one of the slowest growing Hypans with which I have worked. I had a great conversation with Eric Bodrock of Alloddball about this at the NEC in 2018. He was complaining about how slow they grow. My reply was as sarcastic. "Tell me about it." I also use a lot of Repashy (S&G, BS and SG) and frozen foods for all my plecos and corys. My big clown loaches absolutely shred Igapo Explorer (fornerly Fruut Luups).

I do not consider any of the Hypans above appropriate for a pH of 6 let alone lower. I think you are likely to kill them in under 6. I was willing to try the contradens because they are listed as coming from rivers which have sections of very acid, stained waters. But they are not acid from end to end. Plus contradens are a spotted Hypan.

Not many fish will work in acid water. You almost have to get them as imports for that. If you watched the first of the two vids I posted it should give you some ideas about what cohabits with Altums- flag cicglids, eartheaters, neon tetras (I have rummynose with mine). They did show one pleco, but nothing like a B&W Hypan.

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I keep and breed several of the B&W Hypans: zebras since 2oo6, L173b since 2009 (all sold/let go this year), L236 two groups: 1 from the Budrovcan line since 2012 and 1 Tank Raised group since 2016 , L450 since 2012 (all sold/let go this year), L173 two groups: 1 wild caught fish since Oct. 2015 and 1 Tank Raised group since Dec 2015. I kept and bred the contradens for several years and they too have all gone to new owwners.

173 are one of the slowest growing Hypans with which I have worked. I had a great conversation with Eric Bodrock of Alloddball about this at the NEC in 2018. He was complaining about how slow they grow. My reply was as sarcastic. "Tell me about it." I also use a lot of Repashy (S&G, BS and SG) and frozen foods for all my plecos and corys. My big clown loaches absolutely shred Igapo Explorer (fornerly Fruut Luups).

I do not consider any of the Hypans above appropriate for a pH of 6 let alone lower. I think you are likely to kill them in under 6. I was willing to try the contradens because they are listed as coming from rivers which have sections of very acid, stained waters. But they are not acid from end to end. Plus contradens are a spotted Hypan.

Not many fish will work in acid water. You almost have to get them as imports for that. If you watched the first of the two vids I posted it should give you some ideas about what cohabits with Altums- flag cicglids, eartheaters, neon tetras (I have rummynose with mine). They did show one pleco, but nothing like a B&W Hypan.
Wow thank you for that. I do not have much experience with the genus Loricariidae, majority of my experience is with Cichlidae so it is invaluable getting the opportunity to hear first hand experience with people who have kept these Plecos as the information you read online is so widespread and every website lists something slightly different.

I have seen the video you posted before and From what you have said it may end up looking like I might have to stick to the plecos in the Dekeyseria, which seem to come from much more acidic waters in nature, plus have the ability to thrive in the heat that the P.Altum like. Unless there is another species you would suggest that comes from more acidic, warm waters? After your post I think I might lean towards some L168 although was hoping for something slightly smaller

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have not had Farlowella go after angels.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Well, TwoTankAmin is a leading experts on these plecos and he taught me how to breed my L46 so he’s definitely the best source of info on plecos.

I’ve not kept freshly imported Altums so I have no idea how adaptable they are to ph changes. I can only say I’ve kept Altums from petstores and local hobbyists and they seemed to do well in my hard tap. This was just my personal experience, not a recommendation.

To answer your other question, when I kept carnivorous and herbivorous plecos together, I’d throw in some protein rich pellets at night along with veggies like cucumber, squash, sweet potatoes, green beans and everyone seemed to have a full belly. I feed them a bunch of different foods but they’re favorites are NLS, Repashy, and Ebo Aquaristik

Reactions: stiker

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Well, TwoTankAmin is a leading experts on these plecos and he taught me how to breed my L46 so he’s definitely the best source of info on plecos.

I’ve not kept freshly imported Altums so I have no idea how adaptable they are to ph changes. I can only say I’ve kept Altums from petstores and local hobbyists and they seemed to do well in my hard tap. This was just my personal experience, not a recommendation.

To answer your other question, when I kept carnivorous and herbivorous plecos together, I’d throw in some protein rich pellets at night along with veggies like cucumber, squash, sweet potatoes, green beans and everyone seemed to have a full belly. I feed them a bunch of different foods but they’re favorites are NLS, Repashy, and Ebo Aquaristik
My tap water is pretty much perfect for acidic / soft water species, out of the tap my water is around ph - 6.5, gh - 3, and kh - 1, after aging/ being in the tank it does naturally drop to around 5.5-6 (the lowest it has gone is 5)

Thanks for that, I do have a few different mixes of repashy I feed, and I also have been feeding blanched zucchini. I recently also order some NLS algaemax wafers, sera catfish chips and sera viformo, so hopefully the mix of this will get good results. However, I believe the pleco I am leaning towards is the L168 so that would be a mostly vegetarian pleco instead of a carnivorous. I do have a friend that has some L183 he is willing to give me however, these gets a bit big for what I was wanting

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Wow your tap water is perfect for discus and Altums. Mine comes out rock hard. Haven’t tried the others but my plecos love the Sera Catfish Chips. Good luck

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Wow your tap water is perfect for discus and Altums. Mine comes out rock hard. Haven’t tried the others but my plecos love the Sera Catfish Chips. Good luck
My water is great for softer SA American species, CA species are a bit more work but they have a special place in my heart so it’s worth it.

Great to hear, the foods should be arriving tomorrow so I’ll see how they are. The sera viformo I bought mostly for my sterbai corydoras

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store