Python water changing...

apistomaster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Clarkston, WA
Epic Fabrications;905813; said:
ewurm, just because people who enjoy using the python have commented on this thread, does not mean the general population feels that way. Maybe 75% but hey I'm one of those 25% that dont care for it. I'll stick to my siphon and hose. I have a fitting to hook my siphon up to the sink from a local hardware store that cost me $4.00.

Like it has been said before, suck and throw the hose out the window. Save more water this way.
I am in your camp. I use two 25 ft RV water hoses but only need them both to reach a couple of the most distant tanks. Those and a few PVC adapters, fittings, and home made terminal intake that I screen for prevent small fish being sucked out actually siphons faster than a Python and is just reversed to connect to the faucet for refilling.
A U-Tube is made from two 90 degree fittings so it hangs conveniently on the frame of the tanks. Adapter fittings that use garden hose threads complete the system. I can use varying lengths for the tube in the tank. I don't glue the fittings, just rely on friction so I can modify it for everything from my 4.5 gal breeding tanks to my deeper large discus aquariums. I siphon out the door and water my lawn but when I lived in an apartment I drained into the bath tube.

The initial cost is approximately the same as a Python system but in the long run, since I do not use a venturi pump as does the Python it can actually recoup all costs by the none of the City tapwater water being wasted as when you use a venturi pump. I go through about 4000 gallons/month in water changes and using a venturi would add another 1500 gallons of wasted water to my bll.

The Python system is a good solution for the non DIY self-inclined aquarists and if you don't have many tanks. By having two 25 ft hoses I can be siphoning and refilling at the same time. I must pay attention or I will overflow a tank now and again but I could probably add an in line float ball valve in the right place to prevent that, too. I usually have my overflows when I try to siphon and fill while posting on a forum to pass the time. I have almost 30 aquariums and many are full of Discus so I am changing water all the time.

One other advantage of my system is that with adapters I can use the same equipment to pump water from my reservoir of RO water treated with peat moss to be pumped it those tanks where I am using modified water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store