Question about filtering a 400 Gallon Tank

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I cant answer the 1st two questions, But I can say that I plan to Run a Drip system. As to whether or not I let the drip fill the tank back up after a back-flush or not? That depends on how much water I loose from the back-flush so time will tell.

ALSO - I plan to run the two FX5's I already have in addition so hopefully that will cover any needed redundancy/Backups

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have a couple more questions out of curiosity:
1) When you do the backflush does it impact your bio capacity and cause mini-cycles? I think some folks complained about this.
2) Do think there is a need to run two for backup and sustainability?
3) Are you running drips on your tank? I think you were taking approach of letting your drip fill the tanks up after backwash but dont' remember.

I was under the impression it you would need to backwash more often, which is awesome.
1) I have an Apex on the tank and can see the impacts of backwashes. There is no mini cycle at all. Nothing that has shown on a test kit.
2) I wanted redundancy because I travel often for work and want to make sure I have a heavy bioload capable backup. The more research I did the more I was convinced running two would solve all of the problems people encounter with Ultimas. I can confirm it did resolve all of my concerns.
3) Yes I am running a heated and dechlorinated drip system. Initially I designed the system to let the drip fill it back up overnight. I actually haven't tested this yet. I lose about 30% tank volume for a really good backwash. Since there are pups in the nursery I haven't wanted to push it.

I thought I would have to backwash much more often too. This was a REALLY welcome surprise. I think running two made all the difference in the world. Most people who are running these only invest in one and overdo the flow rate.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
i just ordered my Ultima 1000 today - got a good deal! Now I need to find a deal on a PUMP =)

Reactions: JK47

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Also ordered the Pump =)

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I got a Reeflo Dart/Snapper Gold

Reactions: JK47

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
ya - the snapper was the plan. It will use less power and still give me plenty of flow! I got the gold cause they claim its a better motor =)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
ya - the snapper was the plan. It will use less power and still give me plenty of flow! I got the gold cause they claim its a better motor =)
Currently running standard dart and gold models, have to agree the gold is better. My apex shows it’s watts usage and I play around with them often. If you valve it back the watts drop, seals and motor last longer too.

Have you planned your intakes and backwash design yet? Let me know if I can help.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Only thing I have currently is bulkhead in the tank. I have some hard line and was gona use some of that flexible pound line maybe, so a combo of both. Not sure yet. Any help from you is welcome! =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store