Question regarding Senegal bichirs

Rhovann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2018
Hey guys this is my first time posting and I have been looking for answer to this and i cannot find one. I am relatively new to aquariums and bichirs. So I will just get into it. i have a 55g tank and put a bichir i got from petsmart in there about 3 months ago. along with it went a female paradise fish, a three-spot gourami(i think female), and a birstlenose pleco which i read were okay to go with bichirs. everything was going great by bichir was out and pretty active. fast forward to 2 weeks ago. i decided to get him a buddy and i got an albino to go with him. the albino is smaller than he was but after adding the albino it changed the how he acted. they both hide while the lights on and do not come out. they still eat and come out once the lights go out. i would not be concerned except for one thing as i understand things can change except it appears that they are both looking like they are breathing heavy and i have no idea why. I just need to know if i should be concerned about it or just let it be.
my water parameters are ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0 nitrates - 10 ph - 7.4

oh and i have not seen any aggression to any fish that is to say i do not know what happens once i go to bed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys this is my first time posting and I have been looking for answer to this and i cannot find one. I am relatively new to aquariums and bichirs. So I will just get into it. i have a 55g tank and put a bichir i got from petsmart in there about 3 months ago. along with it went a female paradise fish, a three-spot gourami(i think female), and a birstlenose pleco which i read were okay to go with bichirs. everything was going great by bichir was out and pretty active. fast forward to 2 weeks ago. i decided to get him a buddy and i got an albino to go with him. the albino is smaller than he was but after adding the albino it changed the how he acted. they both hide while the lights on and do not come out. they still eat and come out once the lights go out. i would not be concerned except for one thing as i understand things can change except it appears that they are both looking like they are breathing heavy and i have no idea why. I just need to know if i should be concerned about it or just let it be.
my water parameters are ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0 nitrates - 10 ph - 7.4

oh and i have not seen any aggression to any fish that is to say i do not know what happens once i go to bed.
Welcome aboard
Possibly being harrassed keep your eye on the Gourami.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Welcome to the forum!

Water quality looks good. Do you have a heater on the tank? What is your water temperature?

Perhaps take a video or picture of the tank. Paradise fish can also be jerks, so I'm hoping they aren't pestering the polys. When you purchased the albino senegal was it active?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Gouramis can be mean. My paradise fish ignored the bichirs completely, but also maybe the polys are having a go at each other. You should watch them carefully.

Got photos or video of their behaviour maybe? Could help

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

Rhovann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2018
you also may try upping the aeration, are any other fish breathing hard?
i am pretty sure my aeration is good plenty of surface movement and some live plants.
Welcome to the forum!

Water quality looks good. Do you have a heater on the tank? What is your water temperature?

Perhaps take a video or picture of the tank. Paradise fish can also be jerks, so I'm hoping they aren't pestering the polys. When you purchased the albino senegal was it active?
yes i have a heater i found condensation on the inside of it yesterday and got a new one. temp is approx 78-80. the albino seemed active when i got him.

i have not caught the bichirs chasing/nipping etc at each other or the paradise and gourami towards the bichirs. i have seen the gourami chase the paradise.

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Are the polys still hiding all the time? What about during the evening?

I do agree with what Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 posted above about keeping more than 2 at a time. Not saying go get 80 polys ;).... but having 3 or so helps with the social dynamics.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Rhovann

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2018
Are the polys still hiding all the time? What about during the evening?

I do agree with what Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 posted above about keeping more than 2 at a time. Not saying go get 80 polys ;).... but having 3 or so helps with the social dynamics.
hey so i did go and get another senegal making three. I also rearranged my tank to kinda open up the hiding places(still have areas to hide) the new one seems to be very active during the day which made the other two come out for a little bit nothing to long. but they do come out once the light is off and the senegal that was hiding becomes very active and the albino comes out and forages. I also removed a 10 inch bubble bar so they have a calm area to chill if they want.

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store