Questions about ferts fir my planted piranha tank

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
I've been looking for a new fert for the 55 ever since i got the new light (finnex planted+ 24/7) i found the thrive series and was wondering if thrive c was the best option due to the stocking and nitrates being high (due to stocking the pirhanamainly and the 50 baby plecos i need to find a home for and the shrimp im adding back, 3 SAE, ETC ) plus the light set to max without the 24/7 crap. I keep low tec plants to high tec (high tec mainly the red plants i have). I need a better fert because flourish Isn't cutting it for my tanks anymore (55 gallon, 10 gallon betta with 3 shrimp , 30 gallon south American cichlid tank etc) im not really sure what to get but thrive C looks like the best but not 100% sure. What do you guys recommend?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I’ve heard aquarium co-op easy green seems like a good fert, but I haven’t tried it yet. Since you have red plants, iron could help.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Are you looking for a ready bought product or a diy?
I use osmocote+ for root tabs.

I also dose iron, potassium and magnesium.
I bought mine in powder form from an on line agriculture store. You have to measure and mix but it cost cents per bottle to make.

I haven’t bought ferts in two years and still have plenty.

Reactions: angelcrze

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
There are a few all in one products and work pretty well. I’ve used seachem but not that great of a product compared to others out there.

I also use a online powder product dissolved into water and works for me.

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
Are you looking for a ready bought product or a diy?
I use osmocote+ for root tabs.

I also dose iron, potassium and magnesium.
I bought mine in powder form from an on line agriculture store. You have to measure and mix but it cost cents per bottle to make.

I haven’t bought ferts in two years and still have plenty.
Pre made do to the fact theres little room for error

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
I use Profito Easy Life. It doesn't contain nitrogen or phosphates bc my tank already produces enough of that. I had to order it from the UK though. My stem plants have really taken off since I started with it and I barely dose even. It also contains a pheromone that encourages cell division. I have the same light btw. In my other tanks, I don't even dose at all.

But if I felt confident to DIY my own concoction, dry ferts is the cheapest most customizable option.

I also use Osmoscote plus for root tabs.

Reactions: Goldenburd

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
There are a few all in one products and work pretty well. I’ve used seachem but not that great of a product compared to others out there.

I also use a online powder product dissolved into water and works for me.
Would like to take a look at that. What liquid ferts have you tryed and recommend? My well water has higer nirates so i gotta watch that but other wise well water is magic every water change my plants start to pearl instantly which is cool( a bit off topic ?) generally i dose all the seachem line but its getting to costly for 5 tanks (one being a rehoming tank for now till i find my rescued yellow lab a home) plus the plants developing deficiencies when im dosing right but idk i dose (trace, flourish , synthesis, activate, iron, potassium, excel rarely since the shrimp accident don't dose nitrogen as its not needed due to the bioload) i was recommended thrive C but i don't know if its actually as good as they say im kust looking for something to make the plants happier and healthier than they are now without having to get a co2 setup for the 55 and other tanks. Just dont know what to use

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store