Rainbow shark growth rate?

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
Hi, I have been wondering. Is rainbow shark a fast growing fish or it isn't? Currently I own one in my 29 gal. He is the only resident there beside one leopard bush fish. I think I bought it like 1,3 or 1,2 years ago. Back then it was 5-ish or 6-ish cm long. And now it is still 8 or almost 9 cm long (total length). Is it normal that my rainbow shark is still this big? Or maybe it was my fault that its growth kinda retarded?

I feed it like once or twice a day. Usually some blood worm or hikare microwafer. Sometimes I give it frozen shrimp twice a week that I have shred into tiny bits since its mouth is very small.

Thanks

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
He’s fine, mine only put on like an inch per year.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
There are a lot of variables that go into the growth rate of fish. All you can do really to get the optimum growth rate out of your fish is to understand a few of these basic variables and the rest will take care of itself.

1. House your fish in a suitably sized tank, a tank which isn't overstocked. This one will help take care of potential stunting issues.

2. Tankmates need to be compatible so there is no aggression. Frightened fish which are constantly harassed are going to be stressed, which will also hinder growth.

3. Feed a healthy and varied diet to your fish.

4. And arguably the most important, keep your water pristeen.

Addressing these points will give your fish the best chance of reaching its full potential size wise, not to mention living a longer happier life.

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
There are a lot of variables that go into the growth rate of fish. All you can do really to get the optimum growth rate out of your fish is to understand a few of these basic variables and the rest will take care of itself.

1. House your fish in a suitably sized tank, a tank which isn't overstocked. This one will help take care of potential stunting issues.

2. Tankmates need to be compatible so there is no aggression. Frightened fish which are constantly harassed are going to be stressed, which will also hinder growth.

3. Feed a healthy and varied diet to your fish.

4. And arguably the most important, keep your water pristeen.

Addressing these points will give your fish the best chance of reaching its full potential size wise, not to mention living a longer happier life.
Nice points and thanks for pointing this out! I will keep these in mind while keep an eye of my rainbow fish then

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store