Rainbow Trout Tank

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Awesome! So refreshing to see something I have never seen before - a rainbow trout in a peer tank. You've made my month, great job, mate!

How long is it now and how big is its tank (I realize 180 gal but what dimensions)? What do you feed it? You gotta school us on keeping this fish. Think of us as first graders, so you gotta chew up everything and present on a silver platter.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Awesome! So refreshing to see something I have never seen before - a rainbow trout in a peer tank. You've made my month, great job, mate!

How long is it now and how big is its tank (I realize 180 gal but what dimensions)? What do you feed it? You gotta school us on keeping this fish. Think of us as first graders, so you gotta chew up everything and present on a silver platter.
Thanks this put a smile on my face this morning. He has been in there since about June 2019. He's around 13-14" right now if I was to guess, but I'd have to measure to be sure. He gets fed NLS floating pellets, which he seems to be doing well with. I'll have to admit the tank is still evolving. I built a back ground for it which you can't see real well. But in the left corner it has a shelf the juts out. My intention is to turn that into a waterfall but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also want to get some small cold tolerant plants to help clean the water. I started with bamboo (I know not cold water), which did well in the summer, but when the temp dropped in the basement this winter it didn't make it.

Overall he's actually pretty easy to keep. Only one issue to start, but that was lack of proper handling technique. When I went to put him in quarantine rather than using a net I just picked him up and putt him in. Well he didn't like that and squirmed and I dropped him on the floor which lead to an infection of his eye. This was touch and go for a bit but once that cleared up he has been doing well ever since. It took a bit to get him on pellets, which is odd since he is a hatchery fish, he lost a lot of weight in the beginning, but has since put it all back on.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice. Thank you so much for this.

What is its behavior and moving like, what does it do days and nights? Does it swim laps or prefers to stay where the current is the strongest? I assume this is an eye-sight-oriented, diurnal fish that should rest or sleep at night, no? Does it try to jump or jump out? Any tank mates ever, even another trout?

This is so cool. I wish I tried it with brown trout which we used to catch in upstate NY creeks in prior life.

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store