Rainbow Trout Tank

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Nice. Thank you so much for this.

What is its behavior and moving like, what does it do days and nights? Does it swim laps or prefers to stay where the current is the strongest? I assume this is an eye-sight-oriented, diurnal fish that should rest or sleep at night, no? Does it try to jump or jump out? Any tank mates ever, even another trout?

This is so cool. I wish I tried it with brown trout which we used to catch in upstate NY creeks in prior life.
The behavior is all of the above. Some times he hangs out in 1 place, other times he does laps, and some times he'll sit right in front of the power head. He's never tried to jump out yet. Right now he has no tank mates. I'm thinking of trying to add yellow perch in the late spring. Though the trout can be very territorial. The first time I had rainbow trout several years ago, I had three together and they beat the snot out of each other until there was only one left. I'm hoping with a different species the aggression will be less. I considered a brown trout, but opted to go with the rainbow. Maybe down the road I'll try a brown trout, well see.

Good looking fish. Good job buddy. Love trout. Good stuff.
Thanks!

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The behavior is all of the above. Some times he hangs out in 1 place, other times he does laps, and some times he'll sit right in front of the power head. He's never tried to jump out yet. Right now he has no tank mates. I'm thinking of trying to add yellow perch in the late spring. Though the trout can be very territorial. The first time I had rainbow trout several years ago, I had three together and they beat the snot out of each other until there was only one left. I'm hoping with a different species the aggression will be less. I considered a brown trout, but opted to go with the rainbow. Maybe down the road I'll try a brown trout, well see.
Thank you, bro. Appreciate the knowledge a lot. Wow. I guess one needs a much bigger tank and much more of them... or do the adults tend to be solitary? I ignorantly thought all trout are schooling fish at all ages, no? What does it do at night, if you know? Remember the silver platter...

Good looking fish. Good job buddy. Love trout. Good stuff.
Says the guy with a trout avatar. Duh?
:)
What kind scratches you where you itch, Dave?

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Thank you, bro. Appreciate the knowledge a lot. Wow. I guess one needs a much bigger tank and much more of them... or do the adults tend to be solitary? I ignorantly thought all trout are schooling fish at all ages, no? What does it do at night, if you know? Remember the silver platter...

Says the guy with a trout avatar. Duh?
:)
What kind scratches you where you itch, Dave?
My understanding is that when they are in a big school the aggression is spread out so it is not as big of an impact, but if you only have a few together they tend to fight a lot. The size of the space they have would certainly make a difference as in the wild they have to compete for natural resources, so larger space less need to compete. Not sure if they are solitary or not as adults. He will eventually out grow the tank, but i'm in the process of building a pond in my yard, which should be ready before that happens.

I'm not sure what he does at night. When I go down there when the tank light is off he is doing the same thing he does when it is on. But I also have to turn the basement light on to get to him, so he may have been conditioned that the light going on mean I'm coming down.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see. Thank you again. I guess I am just hung up on checking its night routine and my hypothesis. Maybe when you invest into a night light and extra-plush slippers, you'll report back that yeah, it doesn't do anything, it sleeps, haha...

Please, come back with updates and visuals and share your trout pond endeavour (don't let the raptors get it, trout is yummy!).

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I see. Thank you again. I guess I am just hung up on checking its night routine and my hypothesis. Maybe when you invest into a night light and extra-plush slippers, you'll report back that yeah, it doesn't do anything, it sleeps, haha...

Please, come back with updates and visuals and share your trout pond endeavour (don't let the raptors get it, trout is yummy!).
I can try to sneak down with a head lamp one night and let you know.

Wooooowwww... damn that fish is gorgioussss
Thanks!

Beautiful fish bro!
Thanks!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Chasmodes

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maryland
Any chance you can post a full tank shot or a video? Very cool. What a beautiful fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store