Rare fish theory

dictatorbrock

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
fishtroplilis
Also my local fish store once had A hydrocynus vittatus I decided to wait a week to buy it, came back it was gone.Same with a tsn that i decided to wait and buy it was gone. Boy ive been looking for any species of african tigerfish, but have never seen one for sale again.I consider those fish rare, but people get them easier than me and just keep buying them cause they dont have that one. Like the any bagarius that people want to buy because of their rarity, but than u end up with 3 fish that sits their and does nothing whether than 1. You should just be happy with the one new fish u just got and be proud how rare it is.And be happy with your current fish stocks.I have a Silver aro,jag chiclid, and indo pacific tarpon which i am specificly proud of.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
bassmasterp;4396813; said:
The elopicthys bambusa are about 4'' and feeding constantly a real treat to have love there appetitie to eat and there swim pattern is cool hopefully I can raise them big... keep the rare fish coming! Thanks.
Wow! They look so cool! :eek:

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
bassmasterp;4396813; said:
The elopicthys bambusa are about 4'' and feeding constantly a real treat to have love there appetitie to eat and there swim pattern is cool hopefully I can raise them big... keep the rare fish coming! Thanks.
that is a great picture of them, love the silver streaks on its body! so you would say they're growing pretty fast then?

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
franchise513;4396742; said:
Wes you are the man, you bring in fish that people dont even see in aquariums where they charge people to get in. That imperial loach was something else, great fish, wish i would of had $$ and a tank to get one, they were awesome. Keep up the good work man, you are doing a great job.

Keep bringing in rare shipments and i will be checking too make sure your still bringing in raritys(sp/word?) LOL. Hopefully you can crack the code on the new cambodian Widebars i have been reading about and you can bring in some more stunning rare fish!
Again, I'm not looking for praises, but venting my frustration with the hobby sometimes. I wish more people would appreciate the same type of fish that I like and what I do to acquire them.

On the datnoid, I've spent a lot of time reading and thinking and here is my humble opinion.

I think we may have to split them up into even more groups than just indo datnoid, true widebar (pulcher), of course the thin bar, silver and new guinea is obvious so I'll leave those alone.

I'll post a series of pictures supporting my findings.

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
first is the Datnoid microlepis, true Indo datnoid, this fish actually stays yellow to orange, and has 8 bars, starting from the front to back. This fish is not frequently found, and the color is almost always "stable" I've seen some 19" ones, and these are pretty rare to find!

Datonioides%20microlepis09_1-01bonitoML16cm01.jpg

Datonioides%20microlepis09_10-01bonitoML18cm01.jpg

Microlepis14.jpg

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
2nd set is the true datnoid pulcher from chaopraya in Thailand. This fish has not been circulating for years now, only some large ones are still found left over from years ago. Non of these have been exported in recent years, this fish is rarer than the asian arowana by 1000 times right now! and I can't even get them.

Notice the tail band always sweeps into one., so with a total of seperate bands of 6 bands only. Large and small specimens, and their colors are usually bright golden color!

105797622_1.jpg

20071121135115762.jpg

Chao%20praya00-01XXL.jpg

Chao%20praya06_4-03SM03.jpg

Chao%20praya07_3-06M3-01.jpg

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
and now here comes the so called cambodian, vietnam, whatever, they often have split bars on one side or another, typically will have 7 bars, since the tail bar does not usually connect, or 8 if the split on one side is complete. they're the closest to a wide bar, some look almost identical. but their colors usually have a gray overtone, some will stay nice and yellow, but most are not stable. I have experience with selling this fish and keeping them as well. here are some examles, and I belive this is the fish we have on hand now that we're dealing with. I'm not calling it a different species, but it could be, or at least a geographical variation of datnoid pulcher. they look almost just like a chaopraya, but the tail is different and color stability is usually not there.

some may remember the one in the first picture, was from my shop, it was always black, so this guy jarret talked me into selling it, then he moved it, and it turned bright! this and look at the tail band!

dat for sale.jpg

Datonioides%20realband08_9-02bonitoML.jpg

datonioides07_10-05M01.jpg

mekong%20datonioides%20pulcher04-03M.jpg

Thai-datonioides05_12-02-2S.jpg

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
in my opinion, this last group really is very similar the the $5.00 indos that were imported last year or two. they all have 7 bands, some have 8 if there was a split.

I don't think the ones we had were true "indo datnoids", datnoid microlepis as pictured in the first set of pictures.

I don't have too many pictures of them, this is one that I sold, it was always brown in color, but notice, it has almost 8 bars if you cound that half bar, or on some it would be split.

Hope that helps clarify this muddy subject.

whole tank2.jpg

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
they have sure made their way to Japan already, at about $200.00 each retail. but notice they all have a split tail band, almost non that I can see have a connecting tail band.

japan.jpg

franchise513

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2008
Cincinnati
yep i agree with you on the dats Wes, I was just saying the cambodian dats because it does suck not to see anymore true ST's in the hobby and that we probably wont see anymore ever again. And if anyone can bring them in I knew it would be you. And I always have appreciated what your doing for hobbiests and keep up the good work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store