Recommended Heaters for 180 Gallon

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
yea that sucks well good luck. i live in a condo and i put steel I beams up with temp jack post and when i leave i will take them down and put the piece of Sheetrock back up. not saying for you to do that just understand renting and weight
Do you have any pictures of this? Can't visualize what you mean.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Do you have any pictures of this? Can't visualize what you mean.
so i dont have a pic of the post up but this is a picture of the Sheetrock i cut with just a razer knife. then i just put a 89 inch section of w4 x 13 Steel I beam. with 2 adjustable jack post see the links for the ones i bought. for 4 jack post and 2 pieces of i beam it cost me $300. also i can take them down and bring them to my next house and just screw the Sheetrock back up and $3 worth of Sheetrock compound and you will not even know it was there. the pipe that is running in the pic i just drop it 4 inches and ran the beam above it. i went with steel for the size and strength the beam is only 4'' x 4'' and it will take 13000 pounds at an 8 ft span before the deflation would be to much for my tank.

bacement sheetrock.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
And 1000watts? Is that not too much? Like 2 of them? I was reading a lot of people using a single 300 watt or 2 250's or something like that.
i just had a 300 w on a 60 gallon and it could not keep up in the winter i had to buy another heater to run in the winter . it is all about how much you want to rise the water temp above ambien temp. if you use a controller witch you should IMO its ok to go more then less i think it keeps the water temp more stable IMO

Reactions: Matteus

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thank you for this. This helps out a lot. Would I want to put in the amount of water that will be going into it or the actual size of the tank? So 96x24x24 vs 96x24x16.
Don't use an aquarium calculator, read the heater manufacturer's instructions. Not all 300 watt heaters can heat the same amount of water.

2 x Eheim 300 watt heaters will be fine for a 240g. Other brands' 300 watt heaters are not rated for the same amount of water as Eheim. I generally keep my winter temperature no lower than 75F. It takes it about 1 hour to raise the temperature by 1F. General winter room temperature in the morning is 60F.

I would use a heater controller to make sure that both heaters turn on and off at the same time. This prevents one heater from doing most of the work.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Also recommend the heater controller.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I would recommend an inkbird controller, working really well for me. There is two plug ins so when the temp gets too low you can have both heaters turn on.

I would have said two 200watt but looks like everyone is thinking 300watt, go with that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store