Recommended Powerheads for 160-180 Gallon Tank

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I will be setting up a 160 or 180 gallon tank for one Piraya Piranha and need to find a good powerhead or multiple that will work. I will have two FX6's running for filtration.

P.S: Is there anything else that piranhas need that I am missing?

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
this is my 180gal setup: 2 fluvial fx6, 2 aquaclear 110s, 1 eheim jager 300w heater...that's it. no powerhead needed. it's always better to over filter a piranha tank or any tank for that matter not unless your fish doesn't do well with strong current. btw, there is no such thing as over filtering a tank. more filtration is better than less or under powered filtration.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
this is my 180gal setup: 2 fluvial fx6, 2 aquaclear 110s, 1 eheim jager 300w heater...that's it. no powerhead needed. it's always better to over filter a piranha tank or any tank for that matter not unless your fish doesn't do well with strong current. btw, there is no such thing as over filtering a tank. more filtration is better than less or under powered filtration.
Well you have the two ac100's creating surface water agitation. If I have 2 fx6's and I need the water moving more would I then need a powerhead? Or if I want to create a current for the fish?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well you have the two ac100's creating surface water agitation. If I have 2 fx6's and I need the water moving more would I then need a powerhead? Or if I want to create a current for the fish?
With 2 fx6's why don't you place one of the return lines so it's at or near the surface for agitation there, and then have another one about mid-level in the tank for currrent?

Powerheads certainly have their uses, but one thing I've found is that many (unless maybe really high quality) tend to add stray voltage to your tank -- they need to be regularly checked every 6 months or so imo, esp. if made in China. There are ways to deal with this stray voltage (e.g. grounding probe) but arguably best to avoid it even going into the tank at all. This is my approach now after finding too much stray voltage in nearly all my tanks a few months ago.

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room

I'm not a fan of powerheads...I'd rather have extra filters in place of those. at least the extra filters adds more water movement plus it filters the tank. powerheads are just water movement.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'm not a fan of powerheads...I'd rather have extra filters in place of those. at least the extra filters adds more water movement plus it filters the tank. powerheads are just water movement.
Someone here said that just using a HOB is not enough for water oxygenation. That I need airstones. Is this true?

audiction

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
My Fish Room
Someone here said that just using a HOB is not enough for water oxygenation. That I need airstones. Is this true?

that's why you'll have 2 aquaclear 110s and 2 fluvial fx6 on your 180g...that's more than enough water agitation hence not needing air pumps/air stones. another option for HOB are 2 emperor 400s if you're not an aquaclear fan. you're only putting a small piraya in a 180g...you won't be needing air stones.

Reactions: BigShawn

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
that's why you'll have 2 aquaclear 110s and 2 fluvial fx6 on your 180g...that's more than enough water agitation hence not needing air pumps/air stones. another option for HOB are 2 emperor 400s if you're not an aquaclear fan. you're only putting a small piraya in a 180g...you won't be needing air stones.
It's actually going into a 240 now. And it's 12". So yeah still small compared to what it will get to.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
And they said that 2 FX6's and HOB wouldn't be enough. Is this not true?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
As well, it seems to be cheaper to get airstones than to get 2 Aquaclears. They cost $109 each.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store