Recommended Powerheads for 160-180 Gallon Tank

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
And they said that 2 FX6's and HOB wouldn't be enough. Is this not true?
That's not true imo, 2 FX6 and even 1 HOB would easily filter a 180, unless perhaps if it was very heavily stocked.

And no, your tank doesn't absolutely need air stones but personally I never run tanks without them and at least 1 sponge filter, esp. as I live in a hot place. I hook them up to ac/dc air pumps so that if the power ever goes out (whether I'm home or away) they turn on automatically. Air stones are also good for drawing current up from the bottom of the tank to the top, which canisters and HOB don't really do so much.

Some don't like the look of them but pound for pound nothing really oxygenates a tank better than a simple and cheap air stone. I also like to have a sponge filter -- if the power went out for a longer time and all/most of the beneficial bacteria in your canister or HOB died off, a sponge filter can help to save your fish.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
That's not true imo, 2 FX6 and even 1 HOB would easily filter a 180, unless perhaps if it was very heavily stocked.

And no, your tank doesn't absolutely need air stones but personally I never run tanks without them and at least 1 sponge filter, esp. as I live in a hot place. I hook them up to ac/dc air pumps so that if the power ever goes out (whether I'm home or away) they turn on automatically. Air stones are also good for drawing current up from the bottom of the tank to the top, which canisters and HOB don't really do so much.

Some don't like the look of them but pound for pound nothing really oxygenates a tank better than a simple and cheap air stone. I also like to have a sponge filter -- if the power went out for a longer time and all/most of the beneficial bacteria in your canister or HOB died off, a sponge filter can help to save your fish.
Well it's a 240 now. Does that change anything?

And could you explain how you have the filters turn on when the power goes out? I would like to do this.

So if I had only 2 FX6's and no other filtration I would for sure need at least something else to add more oxygen correct? And a HOB with 2 fx6's would be enough? What does having more oxygen do for the fish? Would it be better for me to get 2 airstones? Would a Piraya be okay with that?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well it's a 240 now. Does that change anything?

And could you explain how you have the filters turn on when the power goes out? I would like to do this.

So if I had only 2 FX6's and no other filtration I would for sure need at least something else to add more oxygen correct? And a HOB with 2 fx6's would be enough? What does having more oxygen do for the fish? Would it be better for me to get 2 airstones? Would a Piraya be okay with that?
Being a 240 doesn't change too much, but depends on how much fish stock will be in the tank. And don't forget my advice on other thread that you can position one of your canister filter returns mid-level in tanks, and another one near the very top of the tank, which will help with surface agitation.

But yeah on that size tank I would also have a HOB or some good sponge filters or air stones to create more surface agitation. Maybe before investing in the HOB you should just try with air stones (and air pump) and see how your fish reacts. If it's looks normal and eating good, then no reason to spend more money. If the fish gets bigger or you add more fish, you can always add the HOB later.

To have your filters (e.g. canister or HOB) turn on automatically during power outage you would ideally need a generator (not cheap) hooked up to your mains, but I don't know the details of how that works -- but if you're serious I'm sure someone here can help you.

However, insofar as keeping air stones and sponge filters automatically running during power outage, this is much easier, you just need an AC/DC pump. They have lithium batteries for back-up power, lasting anywhere from 8-24+ hr.

Not sure what is available in your area (or via online shopping), but here are 2 good sized ac/dc air pumps I use on my tanks:

But there are other models of various size out there, just google "ac/dc air pump" and see what comes up in your area.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
So I will be setting up a 160 or 180 gallon tank for one Piraya Piranha and need to find a good powerhead or multiple that will work. I will have two FX6's running for filtration.

P.S: Is there anything else that piranhas need that I am missing?
I've got a pair of Jebao OW-25s on my 440L tank, gives a good amount of circulation, should probably be enough on your tank too.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Being a 240 doesn't change too much, but depends on how much fish stock will be in the tank. And don't forget my advice on other thread that you can position one of your canister filter returns mid-level in tanks, and another one near the very top of the tank, which will help with surface agitation.

But yeah on that size tank I would also have a HOB or some good sponge filters or air stones to create more surface agitation. Maybe before investing in the HOB you should just try with air stones (and air pump) and see how your fish reacts. If it's looks normal and eating good, then no reason to spend more money. If the fish gets bigger or you add more fish, you can always add the HOB later.

To have your filters (e.g. canister or HOB) turn on automatically during power outage you would ideally need a generator (not cheap) hooked up to your mains, but I don't know the details of how that works -- but if you're serious I'm sure someone here can help you.

However, insofar as keeping air stones and sponge filters automatically running during power outage, this is much easier, you just need an AC/DC pump. They have lithium batteries for back-up power, lasting anywhere from 8-24+ hr.

Not sure what is available in your area (or via online shopping), but here are 2 good sized ac/dc air pumps I use on my tanks:

But there are other models of various size out there, just google "ac/dc air pump" and see what comes up in your area.
Thanks for this.

And do the ones you linked have the right plugs for US/Canada? Blanking on the names and I'm not sure where you live but I know in Europe they sometimes have different outlet sockets. As well, are you running these pumps all the time or only in emergencies? And all you have to do to connect them is just connect the tubing to the pump when the power goes out and you're good to go?

I was also wondering how long canister filters could be off before they lose a good amount of their beneficial bacteria? So basically, if the power goes out, how long do I have until I have to start worrying?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I've got a pair of Jebao OW-25s on my 440L tank, gives a good amount of circulation, should probably be enough on your tank too.
I've heard that some people don't use air pumps because of stray voltage in the tank. I don't really know what that is and if it is harmful to the fish, but should I be worried about that?

And would a single 12" Piraya do well with a powerhead? Or would it just bother him?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada

I will be putting 1 12" Piraya Piranha in it.

Would two Aquaclear 110's be better than airstones or powerheads? Or would I want a powerhead anyway in order to create current as well? And what are the top 3 options from best to third best in terms of oxygenation?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I've heard that some people don't use air pumps because of stray voltage in the tank. I don't really know what that is and if it is harmful to the fish, but should I be worried about that?

And would a single 12" Piraya do well with a powerhead? Or would it just bother him?
There's not really any way that air pumps could put voltage into a tank. It's just air, which isn't conductive pumped through silicone or plastic tubing. How does that put stray voltage in a tank?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
There's not really any way that air pumps could put voltage into a tank. It's just air, which isn't conductive pumped through silicone or plastic tubing. How does that put stray voltage in a tank?
I think OP actually means powerheads/wavemakers, which I mentioned in another thread of his on the same subject as being potential sources of stray voltage leaking into tank (esp. if cheaper Chinese ones, of which so many are nowadays). TAZ, as TwoHedWlf says air pumps/air stones won't add stray voltage into your tank.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thanks for this.

And do the ones you linked have the right plugs for US/Canada? Blanking on the names and I'm not sure where you live but I know in Europe they sometimes have different outlet sockets. As well, are you running these pumps all the time or only in emergencies? And all you have to do to connect them is just connect the tubing to the pump when the power goes out and you're good to go?

I was also wondering how long canister filters could be off before they lose a good amount of their beneficial bacteria? So basically, if the power goes out, how long do I have until I have to start worrying?
I live in Thailand, where the plugs are different (we use 220V, not 110v). There are other brands that make AC/DC air pumps (mostly Chinese), for some reasons I think they're not super popular/well-distributed in the US, otherwise Amazon there would carry more -- maybe they're not properly UL registered, not sure. However, if you did find similar where you live then the plugs should be suited for where your country.

I think Cobalt Aquatics (from US or Canada, not sure) has an AC/CD air pump, but if I recall it's for smaller tanks, not sure if they have any larger ones.

I use the pumps all the time (on AC power); if the power goes out then the DC kicks in running off a lithium battery like in your phone. They're very convenient but do have some downsides: they're larger & louder than regular pumps / if the battery goes out or gets weak, it'll need to be changed/serviced / lithium batteries can explode and burn down your house (just like in your phone), though I've never heard of it happening with an air pump.

All of that said if you can't get any of these locally/in your country I wouldn't worry about it, there are other ways to protect your tanks in the event of power outages, though it does get somewhat more complex/expensive when you automate these systems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store