Red devil tank mates??

Johnnyhigh5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
Shelby Township, MI
It worked great for me because a tank with one fish got boring. The Africans colored up the tank, and swam around without worry. They needed a veggie diet and my red devil didn't mind. He's seven and very active. :)

Sent from my SCH-R720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishincube

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2010
Sacramento
Most of you strongly adviced that not to house Red Devil and Arowana in same tank, have you actually tried it, and failed? I think it can be done if you really spend the time and patience. For instance, in some asian country, not too many hobylists are as fortune as us are able to have rooms for big/multiple tanks in their tiny house, but are able to suceed in keeping these monsters in limmited space.

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Most of you strongly adviced that not to house Red Devil and Arowana in same tank, have you actually tried it, and failed? I think it can be done if you really spend the time and patience. For instance, in some asian country, not too many hobylists are as fortune as us are able to have rooms for big/multiple tanks in their tiny house, but are able to suceed in keeping these monsters in limmited space.
The majority of the members that advised the OP not to keep the RD and Arowana together have great experience with Red Devils, other aggressive cichlids, and fish keeping in general. There are some common behaviors that Red Devils exhibit under the care of many members. Those behaviors are what members draw upon to form opinions and advice for others seeking to keep this and similar species. It's not in any way a means to be rude or condescending. We all want each other to succeed in keeping the fish of our choice. That's really what it boils down to. Just like people in other countries, some American hobbyists choose to keep their fish in less than ideal housing. Sometimes it works but many times it doesn't. Overcrowding alleviates aggression most of the time because fish have no room to form territories or to single out one fish. I personally don't like overcrowding but others do. There are plenty of fish that I'd like to keep but due to the fact that I can't properly house them, I won't keep them. But based on the OP's other thread related to this one, I still believe that introducing an Arowana into a tank with a territorial Red devil in an already small space is the wrong way to go.

Harleydiva

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
Midlothian,tx
I have a Red Devil (8+") and a silver Arowana together in a 250 g. However it has to be said my Red Devil is pretty chill. So far everybody in that tank gets along good which includes:
Red Devil
Arowana
Oscar
Lima shovel nose
Albino Channel cat
Asian Redtail cat
Giant red tail gourami
Jack Dempsey
And 4 silver dollars
BUT none of these fish are fu grown and there WILL be plans for larger and possibly separate accommodations in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Parrotsrule

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2012
United States
Then why isn't the RD in there to begin with? Why fail to mention that in the 1st place? And why would you ask if a Arowana can be stuffed with an RD in a 55? I doubt you have a 200 gallon in the garage. I mean you are asking very inexperienced questions about stocking fish. You wanna keep big aggressive fish but haven't a clue about them yet. Get more educated first about fish. No way should an aro and RD be stocked together in a 55 gallon. Their aggression and size compatibility doesn't match for a 55 gallon. That is 2 strikes against you.
I hate it when people do this.. Your tearing him Down and not helping him at all.. Give him some real advice! you don't have to be mean about it, something like No that wouldn't work because of the maximum size of the fish and compatibility issues, Do you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future? :)

not that horse manure you gave him.

People come on this site to get good quality advice from good knowledgeable people, not to get beaten up and torn down.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: Nabbig2

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
I hate it when people do this.. Your tearing him Down and not helping him at all.. Give him some real advice! you don't have to be mean about it, something like No that wouldn't work because of the maximum size of the fish and compatibility issues, Do you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future? :)

not that horse manure you gave him.

People come on this site to get good quality advice from good knowledgeable people, not to get beaten up and torn down.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Now now, We don't want to start a flame war now do we? He gave him his honest opinion and if he can't handle it then that's his problem. He has been told that the combination wouldn't work, If he insists on going through with it that's money out of his pocket. Honestly I don't see what he said as "Mean" but it's whatever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store