Red Hook SD Filtration

Abubakar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2018
Hey guys, first thread!

I'm in the process of getting 6 Red Hook SD's for my cycled 75G. I did my research beforehand but can't find an answer for filtration. A lot of articles say they need moderate flow, and i was wondering if the flow from my AC110 would be too strong for them?

Currently it's just the 110 filtering my tank and black sand substrate is the only other thing in it. Even the substrate in front of the filter gets pushed away from the edge though. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Aqua clears can be turned down some, did you try the lower setting?

You could also put something in the flow to divert it/slow it down some. I had the same issue with AC110s on my 55gal tank. So I just put a branch right in the flow.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys, first thread!

I'm in the process of getting 6 Red Hook SD's for my cycled 75G. I did my research beforehand but can't find an answer for filtration. A lot of articles say they need moderate flow, and i was wondering if the flow from my AC110 would be too strong for them?

Currently it's just the 110 filtering my tank and black sand substrate is the only other thing in it. Even the substrate in front of the filter gets pushed away from the edge though. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

No the 110 will not be too much current for SD's they are strong swimmers.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Abubakar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2018
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm thinking they'll be alright too but you can never be too sure lol

And they'll be 3.5-4 inches when i get them, but they'll be in a 120 with my pleco in December when my brother finishes his pond. I let him use it to keep his baby koi's in the meantime.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Silver dollars can be found in moving and fairly slow moving water. What is important for these energetic fish is a large footprint and plenty of oxygen.
I would suggest a medium flow with plenty of surface agitation.
Footprint would be my prime concern if housing a group of adult red hook's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store