Redtail missing fin

JaeC

Feeder Fish
May 11, 2016
I bought two redtail catfish online (I do not have a LFS near me that has big fish) and they came today. They are little, so will be in my growout tank until they can hold their own in my pond. I have noticed an issue though. One of the catfish is missing a pectoral fin. It isn't torn, it just isn't there. He is about 5 inches, so I assume he is doing well without it, but will this be a problem later? Should I call the people I got him from and return him? If it was just going to be him in the pond and he was doing well, I wouldn't worry, but there will be competition for the food. I do not want to have a bad situation develope once I move him. What do you all think?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK!

The RTC will be just fine.

There is a lot of mutilated, deformed fish, dinks, runts, genetic hiccups, etc. in our hobby. Vast majority of them do ok.

Like all pet fish, chances are 99.99% that they will not live out their expected lifespan and die as a result of inadequate care or accident, not at all because of their disability.

IMHO it's the matter of your aesthetic preferences. If it bothers you, I don't see why not get another one.

JaeC

Feeder Fish
May 11, 2016
Thank you. I did decide to keep him. He seems to be doing well, and is honestly more active than the one with both pectoral fins.

Sorry it took so long to respond, there was a family emergency and I haven't had time to get on here.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Any time, mate. We've got no expectations here of timely responses.

I only offered my opinion. I hope others will chime in too.

Ornamental fish trade receives quite a bit of culled fish, underperformers from the food fish farms when it comes to many large fish in the trade. This gives the farmers a bit more bang for their effort.

The latest development in this vein is on the opposite end, namely, that the farmers are finally catching on that differently colored mutants, such as albino, etc., can be worth a lot of money.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
For me it seems the fish with imperfections become the fish I enjoy the most. I don't normally name my fish, but in a group of silver dollars, one of them is missing his pectoral fins and swims all kinds of whacky. He is the only fish with a name, mostly because he is so distinguishable. He eats and competes fine. We call him tard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store