Regarding Senegal Bichirs & Cichlid Tank Mates

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
Hello everyone I've just joined after lurking for the past few days. I've been reading a lot of threads about keeping Senegal bichirs with cichlids but still have a few questions/concerns so thought I would post a thread.

I have a small 2.5-3 inch Senegal bichir that will be moved to the 55 and want to get an albino to go with him. As for other tank mates I've been looking into some cichlids. I would like to have a male and female pair of convicts and would also like to keep a firemouth and jewel cichlid with them. I'm going to be getting all fish in the 2-3 in range as I know a difference in size can lead to either the cichlids getting eaten or the bichirs getting eaten. The tank will have at least a 75 gallon hanging power filter with bio wheel and approx 4 caves, some driftwood and plants (all artificial) I've got a few things I would like some input on.

1. Will this combo work out? (I've read that cichlids can be territoral/aggressive during breeding and I really would like to have a breeding pair of convicts)
  2. Will stocking/over stocking be an issue? (I've read some information that suggests overstocking a cichlid tank helps cut down on aggression but I don't particularly want to do that)
  3. Since I'll be getting all the fish at approx the same size will they all be ok as they grow? (will they grow at about the same rate/stay in sizes that won't cause them to get eaten)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Advice, opinions, experiences, and questions are welcome.

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
That's what I was curious about the most, don't want my other fish or my bichirs being killed. May have to go with females even though I really would like a breeding pair. I would rather be safe than sorry.

The focus of this tank is going to be the two bichirs so I want to make sure they (and the others) will all be safe.

JamesF

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Thunder Bay
I've never seen convicts destroy anything. At most they push fish away from they're breeding spot. Just make sure the bichirs have a head start in growth.
Unfortunately, people just keep using the general term "cichlid" which is quite useless. When you hear about overstocking to reduce aggression, it refers to the rift lake cichlids, mostly the mbuna.

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks for the reply JamesF, I did find a lot of the overstocking information was geared more toward some of the African varieties. I tried looking specifically for the new world cichlids and some specific varieties and didn't have much luck.

My Senegal is about 3 inches right now and I plan to get another that is around the same length so I'll look for convicts and the others that are around 1.5-2 inches to give the bichirs a head start in growth.

terror27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
newark nj
I ve had a breeding pair of cons in a 55 when fry are free swimming they take up about 3ft of the tank and they were only 2-3 inchs they kept 3 gt , red devil, parrot fish , false terror ,and a Jaguar all at 3-3.5 inchs confined to 12 inchs of tank .didn't kill them but herded like cattle it was funny.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tomahawk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Connecticut
I have a 8" Senegal Bichir in a 92g with a pair of 3-4" convicts (actually convict cousins - Amatitliana Siquia), a small community of 3-4" Red-Hump Geos and miscellaneous dithers (BA Tetras and Rainbows).

The convicts definitely own the tank at breeding time but with careful aquascaping to help define territories, everyone gets along ok.

The convicts are always aware of where the bichir is but leave him alone when he is not lurking. Of course, he is twice their length so that would be hard pressed to do serious damage.

If the fry stray to far from their parents, they disappear. This helps control the population of the tank! And illustrates Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest!

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
Yeah that's one reason I want a breeding pair, free feeders for the bichirs and for my green spotted puffers in another tank. I plan to have lots of caves and hiding spots, will look more into defining territories. Not sure if it'll help but I plan to introduce all fish to the 55 gallon at one time and let them grow together.

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
On an updated note I believe we will be getting a 75 gallon instead of a 55 gallon so will have a bit more room. Still trying to figure out what to do about the cichlid tank mates...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store