Could do severum, geos , or jds
I have a 10 inch ornat with severum and jds and parrot fish
Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
After looking around at a lot of different local shops I've learned there isn't a large cichlid variety close by. I'm thinking of going in a different direction with my bichir tank. Going to be setting it up this weekend if all goes well

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
Well I ended up only being able to get a 55 gallon but that's ok for now. Still trying to decide on what to stock it with. I know I'll want two Senegal bichirs (already have them, a gray and albino) along with some rainbow fish. I wanted a spotted climbing perch but that fell through as I can't get on locally. As many of you know I've been debating on cichlids but can't find any firemouths locally and gave up on convicts. I'm now wondering about a single jewel cichlid. Do you think I could keep just a solo, hopefully male, jewel in with the two bichirs and some rainbowfish? Also would consider an acaras cichlid but prefer the look of the jewel.

Sorry I'm such a bother, just trying to figure it out and not blindly buy something that'll end in sorrow.

lambogriffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
new england, USA
jewels can be nippy and mean so make sure the bichirs are larger. it's pretty much a gamble with cichlids but in my somewhat limited experience i have found that smaller fish seem to nip/chase more and larger ones seem to just want their chunk of aquascape and don't go out of their way to cause trouble as long as their home is clear... my albino bichir is very blind but knows how to stay our of GT territory quite well and there is little incident. any time my GT has gotten after my bichir it has been face to face because the bichir is blind, not the GT biting his tail or chasing.

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
A couple time I've had the experience of cichlids taking an extreme irrational hatred of bichirs, like a dwarf pike that would freak the hell out whenever she saw the bichir, and a chocolate that would attack it whenever they crossed paths, while mostly ignoring the other fish in the tank. Anyone else seen something like this?

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks for the replies you guys. I'm starting to lean toward an angelfish for the tank. Going to do some more research on them. I've read threads that say they usually do well with the bichirs.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I keep a breeding pair of convicts, along with a salvini and senegal birchir and two pictus cats in my 60gal planted. Everyone gets along just fine :) as was mentioned before, careful aquascaping and hiding places for everyone, and everything should be fine :) as long as the poly dosnt try and hide in the cave the cons are breeding in.

lambogriffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
new england, USA
Gourami's are active and do will do well with them too if you havent decided yet.. not capable of hurting your bichirs and unlikely to be swallowed even when they are small.. they also do a good job at scavenging and they are entertaining to watch

From The Depths

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Kentucky
I keep a breeding pair of convicts, along with a salvini and senegal birchir and two pictus cats in my 60gal planted. Everyone gets along just fine :) as was mentioned before, careful aquascaping and hiding places for everyone, and everything should be fine :) as long as the poly dosnt try and hide in the cave the cons are breeding in.
I really do like the convicts but have just read so much conflicting info on them. May try them at a later date in another tank until I get the hang of them lol.

Gourami's are active and do will do well with them too if you havent decided yet.. not capable of hurting your bichirs and unlikely to be swallowed even when they are small.. they also do a good job at scavenging and they are entertaining to watch
I had considered some pearl gouramis and they are still in my maybe list. Really like the opaline type of 3 spot gouramis but have read they can be aggressive if kept with other gouramis so I'm still debating on them.

Angelfish are also know in the maybe list.

Anchovie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Jersey Shore
I keep a flagtail with my Senegal. I love the way they look, they're peaceful, and they're too big for the senegal to take a shot at. You'd def need that 75 gal tho. As for cichlid tankmates, it can work, but the senegals really aren't made for the constant battering that most ca/sa cichlids will deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store