Reinforcing and Acrylic Thickness

AP_Dave

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2018
I Googled everywhere and browsed through these forums but I can't really find an answer to my question. Sorry in advance if this has been discussed before.

How does reinforcing acrylic tanks effect the thickness requirements? My specific dimensions are 96"L x 48"W x 10"H, water level will be at 8". All the guides and calculators say I need between 1/4" and 1/2" acrylic, but what if I were to do something like run 1" wide acrylic strips along the top, bottom and middle?

As long as it doesn't look too much like a Frankenstein tank, I'm not worried about the aesthetics of it. My primary concerns are durability and price. To put it in perspective, I can build a plywood and 2x4 tank of this size lined with 6 mil plastic liner and reinforced with steel brackets for around $170.

EDIT: I'm also not opposed to reinforcing it with something stronger, even if it's not clear.

Last edited:

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Acrylic is the most expensive material, most bracing is an angle at the top, It mostly keeps it from bowing, as it will bend alot before it breaks.

AP_Dave

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2018
Acrylic is the most expensive material, most bracing is an angle at the top, It mostly keeps it from bowing, as it will bend alot before it breaks.
So if I braced it that way, what's the lowest thickness you would go on a tank of my size?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I dont know on a 4x8 ft tank. I think it can be done with 1/4" . Its going to be a big noodle. To span the center cross brace, at 48" your going to need some thing real solid.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
building the entire thing with 1/4" will be more than fine. for extra durability u can use 3/8" material. the proper way to brace an acrylic tank is with a full top sheet and holes cut out for entry. ur looking at somewhere around $500 in material alone even in 1/4" acrylic. in my area it ranges from $130-200 a sheet for 1/4" depending on qty.

For around the same price u can run no top braces at all and use 1/2"-3/4" material at a 10" height

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store