Restoring my 600 gal Acrylic Tank

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
How's it going MFK?
I have 600 gal acrylic tank I picked up for a great deal. I have it with the plans of remodeling my garage into a den. I'm taking the wall ou(t between my dining room and garage and using the 600 gal as a room divider.
Well that tank I have has been sitting outside and it was uncovered for almost 2 years now.
My question is what should I d20171109_082653.jpgo as of now with the tank until I move it inside? Will I have do maybe reseal the tank? Will the tank be ok to hold water?
MFK just want to see has anyone had any experience with this, and would also like to get a little feed back.
Thank you in advance!

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
How's it going MFK?
I have 600 gal acrylic tank I picked up for a great deal. I have it with the plans of remodeling my garage into a den. I'm taking the wall ou(t between my dining room and garage and using the 600 gal as a room divider.
Well that tank I have has been sitting outside and it was uncovered for almost 2 years now.
My question is what should I dView attachment 1395466o as of now with the tank until I move it inside? Will I have do maybe reseal the tank? Will the tank be ok to hold water?
MFK just want to see has anyone had any experience with this, and would also like to get a little feed back.
Thank you in advance!
I would cover it in some moving blankets and the. A nice tarp over it until it’s ready. As far as holding water, you’ll have to test to find out.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I agree you will have to test to see if it holds water. Shouldnt have to reseal an acrylic tank as there really isnt a "seal" in the first place. Its a chemical weld and if done properly in the first place it shouldn't degrade. You will probably need to refinish the surfaces. Hard to tell from the pics could just be dirty. Novice 1&2 may be all you need. Its possible it will need sanding. I did a tank that was pretty rough its serious work but looked so good when it was done.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I just restored a 450. I wet sanded with 500,1000, 2000, and then 3000 grit by hand. Then used a buffing wheel with novis 3, 2, and finished with 1. Lots of clean micro fibers, elbow grease, and time... The acrylic looks brand new though and it was in rough shape when I got the tank.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I just restored a 450. I wet sanded with 500,1000, 2000, and then 3000 grit by hand. Then used a buffing wheel with novis 3, 2, and finished with 1. Lots of clean micro fibers, elbow grease, and time... The acrylic looks brand new though and it was in rough shape when I got the tank.
I agree. I haven’t wet-sanded but wish I did since I still have some visible scratches. That said, Novus 1-3 with bigger pads attached to my drill went a long way in cleaning up the tank. Also had to reinforce some corners with acrylic rods glued in with some Weldon

Good luck with the build.

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
Mothers makes a headlight polishing kit similar to the power ball and it works just as well as the Novus but much faster. This won't remove any deep scratches but it clears up the haze super fast. Give it a shot.
NCH

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I would suggest on a tank that large to spend the extra $40 on the buffing wheel you will be glad you did. it would have taken me a lot longer trying to use a drill. The novus will run you about $90 for the larger bottle and you will need it. Don’t bother with the smaller sizes, you will end up having to spend more on the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store