Returned home from vaca tonight :(

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I left early saturday am for vaca. Did my usual routine, large feedings followed by rather large water changes for every tank the night before leaving town. Well, i returned home a few minutes ago. Run in to check on all the fish. And unfortunately i had a heater malfunction!! The tank is a divided 90 gal with two growouts. On the left, my male f1 honduran jag. On the right, whats left of my wifes 8" female Frontosa. The water to the touch is quite literally almost hot. Somehow my jag is still swimming around as normal. It sucks terrible already. But what do i do about my jag? I unplugged the heater already and have the tops off the tank and the frontosa removed. Should i just let it cool off over the course of the next day or get some clean water in that tank, due to the front beeing dead for what looks to be a day atleast? I dont want to lose my male jag too :(

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I left early saturday am for vaca. Did my usual routine, large feedings followed by rather large water changes for every tank the night before leaving town. Well, i returned home a few minutes ago. Run in to check on all the fish. And unfortunately i had a heater malfunction!! The tank is a divided 90 gal with two growouts. On the left, my male f1 honduran jag. On the right, whats left of my wifes 8" female Frontosa. The water to the touch is quite literally almost hot. Somehow my jag is still swimming around as normal. It sucks terrible already. But what do i do about my jag? I unplugged the heater already and have the tops off the tank and the frontosa removed. Should i just let it cool off over the course of the next day or get some clean water in that tank, due to the front beeing dead for what looks to be a day atleast? I dont want to lose my male jag too :(
Need more air and water circulation if you not do that yet, just let the water cool down in on itself. If you confident enough you can do small 5% water change each time every 2 or 3 hours so the water temp don't drop more than 2 degree each water change. I used to quarantine my frontosa and jag fries in 88F for a month to kill ich and they are fine as long you have enough water circulation and water oxygenated.

Reactions: tlindsey

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Need more air and water circulation if you not do that yet, just let the water cool down in on itself. If you confident enough you can do small 5% water change each time every 2 or 3 hours so the water temp don't drop more than 2 degree each water change. I used to quarantine my frontosa and jag fries in 88F for a month to kill ich and they are fine as long you have enough water circulation and water oxygenated.
I got an fx5 and two sponges on it atm. Ill throw in another airstone right now. I keep my growout tank pretty high also. But this is hot. Nothing i have will read the temp!

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I got an fx5 and two sponges on it atm. Ill throw in another airstone right now. I keep my growout tank pretty high also. But this is hot. Nothing i have will read the temp!
In this case, it's safe just to let the tank cool on itself but monitor the fish activity though, I hope it will get through this, jag and front are tough fish.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
After things get back to normal, keep a close eye on water parameters. There's a good chance your beneficial bacteria will be damaged from the heat. Something to be aware of and monitor.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
After things get back to normal, keep a close eye on water parameters. There's a good chance your beneficial bacteria will be damaged from the heat. Something to be aware of and monitor.
Yea i know it. I leave for work tomorrow am. So from tomorrow at 5am till 5pm, theres not much i can do. Im going to check my params in the am before i leave, and hope that it will be ok when i return home. I put a replacement heater in set for 78, the lids all on, and added a big air stone, and an empty emperor 400 to help circulate. Hopeing he turns out fine. Hes seperated from his lady right now so i can bulk him up.(he fits in all her hide holes)

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Invest in a heater controller. I use these on my systems:

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Tempe...5169&sr=8-1&keywords=heater+controller+finnex

It's quite frequent that when heaters "fail" they do so in the on position. The heater controller will cut the power supply to the heater should it leave the acceptable range. It will also sound an alarm if the tank gets too hot or too cold, you can set these parameters.

Good luck

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
It's summer time now so you should turn off the heater and turn on when winter is up, if your house temp stable all year round then consider not using heater too, your fish will be fine :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store