Returned home from vaca tonight :(

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
Thanks for posting that Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid

I've been hearing a lot about heater failures lately. Making me nervous.

Reactions: mattison187

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Invest in a heater controller. I use these on my systems:

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Tempe...5169&sr=8-1&keywords=heater+controller+finnex

It's quite frequent that when heaters "fail" they do so in the on position. The heater controller will cut the power supply to the heater should it leave the acceptable range. It will also sound an alarm if the tank gets too hot or too cold, you can set these parameters.

Good luck
Im deff going to make that investment. Last night was quite the eye opener.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
It's summer time now so you should turn off the heater and turn on when winter is up, if your house temp stable all year round then consider not using heater too, your fish will be fine :)
Its funny you say that. I have had all heaters off for the last two months, and put the one in that tank in, so my male would get ahead of my female size wise quicker. Kickin myself in the ass for it now

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
All was well this am. I fed him a couple shrimp before i took off to work. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. So fingers crossed my dude will be fine when i walk in this afternoon
What was the temperature down to,had it dropped any?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
The alternative that I've been using for years is to run 2 or more undersized heaters. Chances of all heaters sticking is slim. I've found this method will usually give you a way more consistant temp also
This is a smart method. You could even set one of the heaters a couple of degrees lower than the other, theory being that this heater will remain off more, causing less wear and tear so when the other heater fails, you have a "newer" back up all ready to go

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store