Returned home from vaca tonight :(

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Yuki, there is no need for heaters in the summer unless you air condition excessively.
But if you do, diesel hybrids suggestion of controller is on point.
When my heaters have failed 90% of the time its in the on position.
After a couple of those failures, I always replaced the high wattage units with 2 or 3 undersized heaters for my tanks, that way if 1 fails, the others turn off.
Besides most cichlids are good with mid 70s, especially those from the rift lakes where mid 70s are the very stable average.

A

AquaAlex1993

Thank god your jag and frontosa are ok.
In my opinion just like other fish keepers, heaters are not needed in Spring Summer or even some of the fall. October-November is when I recommend people get heaters.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Thank god your jag and frontosa are ok.
In my opinion just like other fish keepers, heaters are not needed in Spring Summer or even some of the fall. October-November is when I recommend people get heaters.
Jag ok. Frontosa, not so much.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Chances of heater sticking is slim. But I've had it happen twice in my fish keeping career. Both times fatal results. We keep incredibly expensive fish, so heater controllers are a mandatory piece of equipment for us.

Reactions: mattison187

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011...nkbird+308&dpPl=1&dpID=417y0W4HFmL&ref=plSrch

I run one of these on every tank I have. I just set it a few degrees higher than my heater is set at and set the alarm for a degree under what the controller is set to. For instance, I have my son's 10 gal tank's heater set to 82, then the controller is set to 85 and the alarm is at 84.

I had the same issue with my son's 10 gallon tank before I put a controller on it. Woke up one morning, the whole house stunk and I found his tank at 102 with all of the fish dead.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good to see that the is okay.I do kind of miss that gravel piling activity that some cichlids like to take part in.

Reactions: mattison187
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store