Ropefish Only Eating Bloodworms

Histrix12

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2020
Hey y’all!

I know they’re not polypterus but this is the closest forum I found.

I’ve had two young ropefish in a 55g community tank for about a month. I made the mistake of feeding them primarily frozen bloodworms with some frozen brine shrimp for most of this time. After further reading I tried to add some variety to their diet, but so far they’re not interested.

I’ve tried:
Freeze dried tubifex worms
Chopped up tilapia
Chopped up silversides (eaten the first time, not since)
Hikari sinking carnivore pellets
Chopped up live earthworms

They ignore or spit out absolutely everything, but as soon as I drop some bloodworms in they’re ravenous. Any ideas for a more nutritious staple diet to try that might be equally appetizing? Or tips for getting them to eat what I’ve tried?

Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Carnivore pellets are usually pretty well excepted. You can try soaking pellets or tilapia in the thawed bloodworm juice. Then once they start eating something else stop using bloodworms all together. Size of the pieces matters too. Make sure they can easily swallow it. You may have to starve them a bit.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Carnivore pellets are usually pretty well excepted. You can try soaking pellets or tilapia in the thawed bloodworm juice. Then once they start eating something else stop using bloodworms all together. Size of the pieces matters too. Make sure they can easily swallow it. You may have to starve them a bit.
+1. Skip feeding a day or try and try some small pieces of carnivore and should take it readily.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey y’all!

I know they’re not polypterus but this is the closest forum I found.

I’ve had two young ropefish in a 55g community tank for about a month. I made the mistake of feeding them primarily frozen bloodworms with some frozen brine shrimp for most of this time. After further reading I tried to add some variety to their diet, but so far they’re not interested.

I’ve tried:
Freeze dried tubifex worms
Chopped up tilapia
Chopped up silversides (eaten the first time, not since)
Hikari sinking carnivore pellets
Chopped up live earthworms

They ignore or spit out absolutely everything, but as soon as I drop some bloodworms in they’re ravenous. Any ideas for a more nutritious staple diet to try that might be equally appetizing? Or tips for getting them to eat what I’ve tried?

Thanks!
Welcome aboard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store