RTM Cichlid with poly. Delhezi and JD

aristocat67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2021
I currently have one delhezi and JD in a 55. Both are juvies and my fish store just got some RTMs in. Would it be worth a shot to try ONE juvie RTM??

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Not really. Probably could get away with adding a group and letting the fish sort it out- then pulling the ones that are hiding behind the filter etc.

To be clear. If you add 1 it will be THE TARGET. if you add 4- the fish will sort it out without killing your 1 new one. You might lose fish but it gives the chance for 1 to get his place in the pecking order.

And as everyone is about to post 3 pages of it, I’ll go ahead and add my voice to the echo chamber. Tank is too small for any of the fish listed long termm

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

Even though the RTM would be a juvenile there will be territorial issues with the JD and RTM.
I also agree with C. Breeze C. Breeze

aristocat67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2021
Not really. Probably could get away with adding a group and letting the fish sort it out- then pulling the ones that are hiding behind the filter etc.

To be clear. If you add 1 it will be THE TARGET. if you add 4- the fish will sort it out without killing your 1 new one. You might lose fish but it gives the chance for 1 to get his place in the pecking order.

And as everyone is about to post 3 pages of it, I’ll go ahead and add my voice to the echo chamber. Tank is too small for any of the fish listed long termm
Do you think the RTM would be mean to the poly if the JD was a non factor

Reactions: tlindsey

aristocat67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2021
Do you think the RTM would be mean to the poly if the JD was a non factor
I suppose those two look too much alike. Maybe a cichlid like a blood parrot would not be touched. And yeah I suppose the tank may be a bit small so that is a problem too….

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
I suppose those two look too much alike. Maybe a cichlid like a blood parrot would not be touched. And yeah I suppose the tank may be a bit small so that is a problem too….
I’ll be honest I’ve got a male Nicaraguan that’s supposedly mild aggression- and he will absolutely stomp to death anything in the tank that’s half his size or bigger. Anything.

When it comes to adult / semi adult “mature” fish- all bets are off- but like I said in my first post- add a group of juvies to your current mix with the juvie JD and you got good odds of short term success. And you got decent odds that the fish that pick each other as roommates will tolerate each other as adults in a bigger setup.

But it might just not work how you want. I’ve banged my head against the wall trying to tank fish together that I wanted to be together and having them decide it doesn’t work- that nothing surprises me now- and I’ve always got a tank on standby if need be and dividers handy as well

Reactions: tlindsey

aristocat67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2021
As long as you realize, a 55 will not a large enough tank for both (or even 1 motaguensis) in the very near future.
Do they max out at 12 inches or so? Also are they smaller or bigger than jags? Would a Yellowjacket cichlid work in a 55?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store