Saltwater

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Nah, people probably sell bottles of saltwater like they sells bottles of water “specifically” for bettas but it’s a gimmick.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Ok.
What goes well with clown fish?

Also can I have one of those corals that they live in?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Clownfish live in anemones, not corals.
Since you’re a beginner I’d go with some simple fish like a royal gramma and maybe a dusky angelfish. Pajama cardinals are nice too.

Reactions: imabot

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
If you have a good local lfs with saltwater I'd go talk to them. Good lfs will sell rodi water or mixed salt water. Easier for you. But tell them what you are wanting to do and see what kinda of help/info they are able /willing to give you. If you dont know how to mix salt water you need some more info before you pick up a tank with fish.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Clown fish are the devil. They will harass and kill fish larger then themselves. A reef isnt something to just jump into. You will be very sorry. Please do more research!
That is exactly the point of me making this thread.
I want to learn...

I might end up with no tank :(

Just found out my best friends mom has stage 4 cancer :( I may end up helping them pay for bills since they are poor.

We will see.

But I really want/need a list...

Like someone to like make me shopping list...

Let’s say:

55 gal tank
Kfgsjjrbdu light bar
Rbdjhdd powerhead
Shrjkfirbn heater
After tank is cycled than get dhrjkdbd

( I literally have no idea about saltwater... only fresh :/ )

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That is exactly the point of me making this thread.
I want to learn...

I might end up with no tank :(

Just found out my best friends mom has stage 4 cancer :( I may end up helping them pay for bills since they are poor.

We will see.

But I really want/need a list...

Like someone to like make me shopping list...

Let’s say:

55 gal tank
Kfgsjjrbdu light bar
Rbdjhdd powerhead
Shrjkfirbn heater
After tank is cycled than get dhrjkdbd

( I literally have no idea about saltwater... only fresh :/ )
Well most of the same rules apply. Cycle is mostly the same. You need some form of filter. If you are keeping corals you need a skimmer. Sump is the best option, so you'll need a tank with an overflow.

Here is what I would do.
1. Find a reputable lfs with saltwater.
2. Bug them til they almost hate you.
3. Not really 3 but it needs to go here because of the last two reward them by being one of their best customers.
4. Read all the forums here on salt.
5. Like stated above get on reefcentral, or captive reefs, or whatever reef forum you can find and read build threads, faqs, whatever else.
6. Find a local reef forum good way to find out about swaps and trade purchase from locals for equipment,frags,fish.
Now I can give you a great list of things to get you started will everyone agree no but what I will tell you is eventually you will need everything I tell you to get. Ready?
1 75g reef ready
2 premade sump like this
http://www.eshopps.com/products/filters/reefsumps/rs100/
3 skimmer like this
http://www.eshopps.com/products/proteinskimmer/premierline/s200/
4 rodi unit I'm not posting a site for that, you can find one.
5 reef capable lights up to you but needs research unless you are going high end name brand and know it will work out of the box.
6 substrate aragonite sand or crushed coral I like the sand better for a ton of reasons. Live rock.....dont skimp but at the same time dont get to much either you'll need to judge on your own as for astectics you can use some dry rock also.
The sump I listed above was just a name brand that poped in to my head at the time ive never used one of theirs. I like to have a refugium to help control nitrates. They make sumps with a refugium chamber in it which is nice if you are short on space. Same goes for the skimmer just happened to be there. Ive used bashsea, reefoctopus, bubblemagnus and cpr. So are you getting the scope of this yet. Its not as easy as go buy this and you are good to go. It can work but its alot of work either way. Start with the first few and get back to us.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Alright thank you.

I am going to be doing tons of research...

I will let you guys know what I decide...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store