Salvini cichlid in a 140 gallon medium sized cichlid community

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
Nearly six months have passed since my last post, so I think it's time for an update! The Salvini has grown a bit and gotten a bit bulkier. Things are mainly the same as they were before, but not everything has gone smoothly with my Salvini. She got really annoyed of my T-Bars, and her relentless harassing resulted in the death of the male T-Bar. Luckily she has calmed down after the T-Bars death, and she hasn't targeted anyone else. She still thinks the Firemouth male is her mate, even though the Firemouth has eaten her eggs twice :D. Every time the FM comes near her cave she starts wiggling and slapping her tail. near She is also quite jealous of the female FM, but the male FM protects her.

So I guess I got lucky with the Salvinis quite low aggression level. She rarely bites anyone, she just flares if someone gets too close to her cave. Even my Rainbow cichlids hold their own against her and she is still very scared of the same sized Blue acaras. She leaves her cave behind without a fight if the Acaras come close with their fry. Honestly I don't know what is up with the Acaras, the FMs and Salvini can hardly keep even a third of the tank to themselves when the Acaras spawn (which is all the time.)

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Keeping regular blue acara myself, they can be brutal when spawning. My female is relentless towards any other cichlid and will often cause large patches of missing scales

Reactions: Cichlid_Guy

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Nearly six months have passed since my last post, so I think it's time for an update! The Salvini has grown a bit and gotten a bit bulkier. Things are mainly the same as they were before, but not everything has gone smoothly with my Salvini. She got really annoyed of my T-Bars, and her relentless harassing resulted in the death of the male T-Bar. Luckily she has calmed down after the T-Bars death, and she hasn't targeted anyone else. She still thinks the Firemouth male is her mate, even though the Firemouth has eaten her eggs twice :D. Every time the FM comes near her cave she starts wiggling and slapping her tail. near She is also quite jealous of the female FM, but the male FM protects her.

So I guess I got lucky with the Salvinis quite low aggression level. She rarely bites anyone, she just flares if someone gets too close to her cave. Even my Rainbow cichlids hold their own against her and she is still very scared of the same sized Blue acaras. She leaves her cave behind without a fight if the Acaras come close with their fry. Honestly I don't know what is up with the Acaras, the FMs and Salvini can hardly keep even a third of the tank to themselves when the Acaras spawn (which is all the time.)
Nice ?

This has been my experience with them them too. Meeki especially seem to always seem to easily intimidate my Salvini.
IMO Salvini are only aggressive when kept in a small tank or forced to defend themselves. They are very aggressive in breeding like most CA cichlids.

Reactions: Cichlid_Guy
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store