Salvini fry!

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
hey y'all, my salvini pair has just bred for the first time and it's also my first time breeding any fish. Would like to know how frequently I should do water changes and what to feed them. The female has them all huddled up in a pit right now so I'm thinking they are still eating their egg yolk. How long does the egg yolk last so I know when to start feeding them myself?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hey y'all, my salvini pair has just bred for the first time and it's also my first time breeding any fish. Would like to know how frequently I should do water changes and what to feed them. The female has them all huddled up in a pit right now so I'm thinking they are still eating their egg yolk. How long does the egg yolk last so I know when to start feeding them myself?

Congrats! You can maintain the routine wc and they won't need food until the fry is free swimming. If you don't want to feed newly hatched Brine shrimp crushed pellet or flake food will be fine.

Reactions: Bicherman

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Congrats! You can maintain the routine wc and they won't need food until the fry is free swimming. If you don't want to feed newly hatched Brine shrimp crushed pellet or flake food will be fine.

They will probably be swimming in about the 3rd day. You will know when you see the female surrounded by a cloud of fry lol. Also very important to cover filter intake with a sponge, mesh media bag or new knee high stocking.

Reactions: Bicherman

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
They will probably be swimming in about the 3rd day. You will know when you see the female surrounded by a cloud of fry lol. Also very important to cover filter intake with a sponge, mesh media bag or new knee high stocking.
first picture I got of them as they are now moving around a bit. Does this mean they're free swimming?

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store