Sand Issues

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I'm not sure how much these photos will help. I'm sorry for the terrible quality but for a few reasons they were the best I could get.

The tank has 2 p. ornatipinnis, 1 p. delhezi and 1 p. weeksii

View attachment 1245129

View attachment 1245130

View attachment 1245131

The sand was bought from a fish shop and is very fine, finer than caster sugar I would say.
Look for pool filtersand, red garnet , or black blasting sand.

Im amazed it hasnt destroyed the impellar on your filter

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I'm not sure how much these photos will help. I'm sorry for the terrible quality but for a few reasons they were the best I could get.

The tank has 2 p. ornatipinnis, 1 p. delhezi and 1 p. weeksii

View attachment 1245129

View attachment 1245130

View attachment 1245131

The sand was bought from a fish shop and is very fine, finer than caster sugar I would say.
Look for pool filtersand, red garnet , or black blasting sand.

Im amazed it hasnt destroyed the impellar on your filter

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
lol your double posting again
Smh lol. Between the double posting and misspelling its amazing im even allowed on here.

I have torn ligaments in my right hand so typing on the phone is awkward sometimes...i dont even bother correcting the spelling anymore.

Poly Pinni

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
South West England
What kind of sand is that? If you dont mind us asking.
Cause it looks like a fine poolsand.
I'm not sure exactly, it was the remainder of some I bought a while ago. It was a branded type - possibly Sansibar but I didn't read the bag before I threw it away. It is the finest sand I've come across, beautiful but obviously problematic with the polys.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
yeah I would get rid of that sand asap, mainly for your filter's sake. A sand that fine is inevitably going to mess with your filter's impeller. As mentioned above, try pool filter sand or blasting abrasive. I personally use floramax and love it

Poly Pinni

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2016
South West England
This right here.

Sand is a fantastic substrate for bichirs, just need to get the right grain size

I hadn't thought about it actually damaging the filter, obviously quite a bit of it must be ending up in there - I haven't cleaned it out yet to check. [I moved the polys into this tank about a month ago]. I really like the red garnet sand but couldn't really afford any at the time and thought this sand I had lying around would do for now. Looks like I'd better raid the dogs piggy bank!

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store