Sand or gravel

Please help I just got back into the fish game after a 9 year hiatus I am setting up a 55 gallon tan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Gravel has large spaces in between each grain, so detritus and uneaten food sinks into it and gets trapped. Because of this, when you do a water change, you have to vacuum the gravel thoroughly. With sand, detritus just collects on top of the substrate, and you can easily remove it by just hovering the siphon over it. Saves a lot of time and effort.

What type of filter are you using? And I really am thinking about going sand
I've used sand with both HOBs and canisters. The most important thing is to make sure that the type of sand you're getting has a large enough grain size to not get suspended in the water column for too long (play sand is notorious for this). Pool filter sand and regular aquarium sand (like Tahitian moon sand, for example) work well.

Reactions: tlindsey

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I have sand in my tanks and every time I change the filter there is always lots of sand in it, you can’t really siphon sand you have to suck up what’s on the surface without sucking up the sand
What kind of sand are you using? I'm guessing that either your sand is too fine, or your filter intake is too close to the substrate.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
My tank is 130 gallons and I find gravel easier to maintain but if you already have the sand then use that

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
When I clean sand I use a short section of hose and siphon into a bucket, that way you can reclaim your sand and it won't just go down the drain. Hover the hose about 1/2inch or so above the sand and make little circles this will make T hge stuff fly up and you can get it out with minimal sand going as well.
Like others have said it can and will get into your pumps. Especially if you have bigger cichlids, catfish, plecos that kick up a lot of the sand. I have sponges on my intakes and the finer grains get thru still. Mine is Moonlight sand from Carbisea.

Last edited:

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My 29 has Crystal river sand from Carbisea. It seems to do better, but that tank only has small fish in it so I can't say for sure.
Also if you have fish that move the sand around a lot you will need to plundge your fingers into the sand each water change. Just small sections as the kicked up sand will land on top of food poop what have you. When the food and such breaks down from the BB in the sand it can make gas pockets. You want to release these gas pockets in small amounts.
This is also my first go with sand. So far I love the looks of the sand, but when I get a bigger tank for my O I will be using gravel again. To me it's just easier, use a gravel vac at water change to get the detreus out of the gravel. That's it done. None of these extra steps to save the sand from going down the drain. I have had these tanks going for 6 months now or so and had to change out the motor shafts already due to the sand.151463234241544010334.jpg
See the damage to the shafts, now most of that was pre sponges on the intakes.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
You think I can just scoop up the waste without siphoning it? I just didn't want to put 50$ worth of gravel I already have 20$ worth of gravel in my 29 gallon also you think periodically I should disturb the gravel to move the food/waste around to get filtered out?
No, you need to siphon it. I have sand in most of my tanks, you just hover the siphon over the sand and poop comes up. I also do "gravel vac" the sand, ,I just crimp the hose when the ssand gets too close to the top and it falls back down.
Also, Jaguar cichlids need a minimum of a 125 gallon tank to themselves. These fish can potentially get to 18+" long, a 55 gallon is 12" wide. Please do not buy jaguar cichlids for a 55 gallon and expect it to last them more than a few months.

billy robbins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
I use sand in my 150. but I have gravel in my 125 with a undergravel filter. Honestly I like the gravel with the undergravel filter a lot better. In my opinion if you can obtain a Undergravel that’s what I’d do. Undergravel filters are oldys but goodies. Your managuensa’s will thank you because it will really help you get a healthy bacteria bed , I think you said it’s just a 55 right? Well ,a undergravel filter with two “whisper 3”filters and a big bubble bar will run that tank like a champ.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you use fine sand (play sand), it can and will ruin filters.
If you use a more dense sand (pool filter sand) it will not easily be stirred up.
I agree, when I syphon pool filter sand, most detritus stays on the surface, and I don't need too dig in to siphon it out.
And I also agree with the others, a 55 is way too small for managuense (or any Parachromis for that matter) long term.
Central American cichlids like those from the genus Amatitlania, such as nanoluteus, honduran red point or some other small species like multispinnossa would be much more apropos for such a small tank.
nanoluteus

HRP

myrnae

multispinnossa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store