Scatophagus stripping an Anchovy

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I

is this yours? What a beautiful fish!
They are definitely one of my favorite fish, however I am worried about them getting to much interest because then I can see problems with wild populations being over caught/fished. I believe they cannot be bred in the home aquariums?
This is my fish, thank you. And yes it is true they’re wild caught, however they’re an extremely prolific species and are found just about everywhere in their native range. They could become as popular as neon tetras and you still couldn’t over fish them. They’re the equivalent of bluegill in the states with how you can fish them from just about anywhere. They get their name scat from being found in sewer systems in certain parts of Asia

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
This is my fish, thank you. And yes it is true they’re wild caught, however they’re an extremely prolific species and are found just about everywhere in their native range. They could become as popular as neon tetras and you still couldn’t over fish them. They’re the equivalent of bluegill in the states with how you can fish them from just about anywhere. They get their name scat from being found in sewer systems in certain parts of Asia
That's interesting actually being found in the sewer systems (I am aware they are found commonly hanging around sewer outlets).
They must be very tolerant of high nitrate environments.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Beautiful fish, both the spotted and striped types. I've always wanted to try keeping them, just not willing to set up a brackish tank. I like those Monos as well.

"Scat" is short for "Scatophagus" which refers to their predilection for eating feces. I once had a large Pacu that did the same thing; pinched off a loaf and then whipped around and ate it before it hit the bottom.

Now...if you had a picture of them being hand-fed their favourite food...

Nah...never mind. :)

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Yes they are extremely tolerant fish. I would love to get my hands on a silver scat sooner or later

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Beautiful fish, both the spotted and striped types. I've always wanted to try keeping them, just not willing to set up a brackish tank. I like those Monos as well.

"Scat" is short for "Scatophagus" which refers to their predilection for eating feces. I once had a large Pacu that did the same thing; pinched off a loaf and then whipped around and ate it before it hit the bottom.

Now...if you had a picture of them being hand-fed their favourite food...

Nah...never mind. :)
LOL!
I do like scats as well,I have kept them in the past and may do so again in the future.....their poop eating predilections notwithstanding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store