Scavengers/clean up crew

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks for the replys all.
I added a group of metynnis lippincotianus. So far it's working well enough.
They seem to ignore each other for the most part.
I think I am going to break a 30 year habit and not add any cichlids to this tank.
The ray came with a hujeta gar

View attachment 1242359

He is really chilled out and never bothers anything.i think I will just stay with him and the spotted dollars for now.
It's nice to have a peaceful tank for a change,without territorial cichlids.

I think I have found a new passion now.
View attachment 1242361
Cichlid free is my way to be, amazing fish.

On a side note those wild caught pelvachromis an importer has look so tempting

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
When I used to do water changes(before I had the ray) I used to change 50%per week straight from the hose pipe and then add tapsafe.
The temp of the tank would drop to around 73.
Since having the ray I have been doing smaller changes more often.I am worried the ray won't like the drop in temperature doing larger water changes.Am I right to be concerned or will rays cope fine with this temporary drop in temperature?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
When I used to do water changes(before I had the ray) I used to change 50%per week straight from the hose pipe and then add tapsafe.
The temp of the tank would drop to around 73.
Since having the ray I have been doing smaller changes more often.I am worried the ray won't like the drop in temperature doing larger water changes.Am I right to be concerned or will rays cope fine with this temporary drop in temperature?
I believe they do, rays need BIG waterchanges generally due to their primitive digestive system

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I regularly wc from 80 to 70 with my rays, no noticeable behavior issues.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I do 50% as well once a week to every five days depending on time. I don't use sumps...unfortunately...but I clean my canisters a lot more often now that I have rays. Works fine so far. Only difference is I temperature match my new water. Is it please ask me you can hook up to an in house water source that has hit and cold water?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I do 50% as well once a week to every five days depending on time. I don't use sumps...unfortunately...but I clean my canisters a lot more often now that I have rays. Works fine so far. Only difference is I temperature match my new water. Is it please ask me you can hook up to an in house water source that has hit and cold water?
Unfortunately I have weird shaped taps in my house and can't find a hose attachment that will fit.
Bucket changes would take forever.
I've always done cold water changes on my cichlid tanks and they never seemed to mind.It often triggered spawning.
Just wasn't sure how the ray would react to that.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store