Sciatica nerve issues

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
PT is great and probably just as important as the surgeon. My only issue is I have yet to meet a PT who says "nope not gonna work you need surgery" except for and OT that worked on my hand. I've seen many PTs for various injuries and can honestly say that I would only let one person give me input when it comes to nerve/spine issues and thats a neurosurgen. A good one will not jump into surgery.

The guy that just operated on my neck didn't sugar coat it and told me there's a chance that the nerve damage is permanent. Also said that it was about pain tolerance. If I could deal with the pain and inactivity not to get the surgery, if I was older he wouldn't recommend it but i felt like I needed to try get active again so I opted for surgery.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
You've seen some crap PTs then, Frank. ;) PTs should refer back to MD for the next step, imaging, etc. (which could include surgery) if a person's not really gettting better. That's just standard practice in therapy land. We can't fix it all conservatively - I wish we could but the fact is that surgery is necessary for some.

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You've seen some crap PTs then, Frank. ;) PTs should refer back to MD for the next step, imaging, etc. (which could include surgery) if a person's not really gettting better. That's just standard practice in therapy land. We can't fix it all conservatively - I wish we could but the fact is that surgery is necessary for some.
Yup ! Some of them were horrible other we're really good and they were able to get imporvement but in the end something's required going under the knife Lol. I just feel like the spine and nerve compression needs to be evaluated with imagining 1st and foremost before any or, chiro, or surgery s considered. Spine is issues are really easy to miss treat. Sometimes even imaginge won't tell the whole story

Another tip any good neuro will want the film's not the report

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
i was diagnosed several years ago with sciatica. if i sit for too long my whole right leg aches then eventually goes numb. doctors said it probably stems from sports related trauma and is exacerbated by bad posture over the years. i notice it the worst on long drives. best i can tell theres no painkiller or medication that helps it. i had to stop smoking the green stuff years ago but i would surely try it if i was allowed to.

my father recently had surgery for his sciatica, which was pretty severe. he couldnt walk more than 20-30 yards without having to stop and stretch the leg. the surgery involved cutting his spine open and cutting out all the obstructive tissue and nerves from around the sciatic nerve. it worked well. hes back to working around the farm and moving around good.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I've been dealing with sciatica for most of my 40's (I'm 46 now) it comes and goes. I will go 2-3 even four months with no pain or issues and then all the sudden it will be extremely bad for a week or two and then go away again. When it is bad stretching helps, but only for a limited time after then it comes back. I usually lay flat on my back and bend my leg at the knee and stretch that leg across my body as far as I can. That helps to stretch that muscle out and makes it feel better for a bit. Heat tends to help as well but you need to put the heat at the base of your spine, not on your hip/butt where the pain actually hurts. Although it hurts there the nerve that causes the pain is at the spine so that's where you want the heat.

Because I sit for long times working I found that a small firm pillow at the lower part of my back helps. It helps to keep your posture better while sitting which makes it a tad better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store