Sculpin Help

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
feeding wht i've been feeding everything else in the tank: flakes, shrimp pellets, algea wafer, n then frozen blood worms and mysis shrimp. only had em a couple days now but still havent seen him eat! :(

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
feeding wht i've been feeding everything else in the tank: flakes, shrimp pellets, algea wafer, n then frozen blood worms and mysis shrimp. only had em a couple days now but still havent seen him eat! :(
dont worry to much..they are little monsters with an apatite.. im pretty sure he is already eating but if not just give in a few days...you can also try feeding him directly with a turkey baster..where ever he happens to be hiding and drop a little bit of food and see if he eats it.

If you want to be 100% sure he is eating get some glass shrimp..or some small worms they cant resist those....live black worms if you can find them work well.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
right on. i have a baby medicine syringe tht i used to feed my bichirs with. they got used to my hand bringing food so i dont use it anymore. might have to bring it out of retirement

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
Bump!!! need some more replies... i wanna hear other critiques n info!:headbang2
good luck..sculpin keepers are far and few between..and even fewer people even know what they are...i have 12 pages on my thread and most of it is pics and me updating same thing goes for my sculpin thread on 2 other sites..just not much out there..
but there are a few.

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
right on so i guess we r a "rare breed" then?? makes since tho b/c everyone i talk to r like "Sculpin?! Wht?!?". still would like some more comments on the layout of my tank. Well kaosu i will try and get some more pics up. my lil guy still isnt wanting to come out of hiding yet...

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
Well finally seen my sculpin out n about today. First time since i put the driftwood in! Still havent physically seen him eat yet... There is a guppy missing from the tank tho and i highly expect him as the culprit! hopefully he is adjusted to the tank now and i will actually see him moving around the tank.

100_4547.JPG100_4551.JPG100_4554.JPG

100_4547.JPG

100_4551.JPG

100_4554.JPG

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
He is very pretty! ^_^

looks allot like a mottled to me..and im guessing the missing guppy is him..as long as his tummy is not sunken he is doing good mine can go a while with out eating.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
good luck..sculpin keepers are far and few between..and even fewer people even know what they are...i have 12 pages on my thread and most of it is pics and me updating same thing goes for my sculpin thread on 2 other sites..just not much out there..
but there are a few.
Actually i believe you and I and now jstanley are the only ones

appears to be a mottled, they tend to be the most common.

Their is VERY few fish as evil thier size

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Actually i believe you and I and now jstanley are the only ones

appears to be a mottled, they tend to be the most common.

Their is VERY few fish as evil thier size
I tried to keep a few last year, but they all died after being stung by a stonecat (awful little catfish; definitely does not play well with others).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store