Seachem purigen

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Oh I don't think the pond matrix is a waist at all. I think overall its a media you can just install and leave forever more or less.. this needs to.be cleaned every 6 months or so. I think this will be on my list of next item to get for the sump. 1 liter should be great. I ordered 8 liters of pond matrix so we will see what that turns out to be like. Just want to keep all my rays happy as they grow. The more I was looking at the tank its clear but not as clear as my tank upstairs which has an fx5 that polishes the water. So we will see after time. I think the pond matrix is still what I wanted and will do very well for what I need.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Taken from Purigen's website:

Product Description

Purigen® is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen® darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen® is designed for both marine and freshwater use.

Why It's Different

Selectivity: Purigen® is the highest capacity organic filtration resin on the market. No other products can compare to its ability to clear haziness and polish water to unparalleled clarity. Unlike other products on the market which are simple ion-exchange resins, Purigen® is specifically designed to be an organic scavenging resin. When ion-exchange resins are filled to capacity by metals and other contaminants, Purigen® has barely begun to reach its potential. Purigen® generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics. The primary source of nitrogenous compounds in an aquarium is waste. Fish, corals, even plants produce nitrogenous waste. Purigen® removes that waste faster and more completely than anything else on the market.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highlighted some of the claims that I don't understand. I understand there are certain strains of beneficial bacteria that convert Ammonia into Nitrite and other forms of beneficial bacteria that break Nirtrite down into less harmful nitrates, but how does "Purigen" itself remove organic waste? I would think the only way to remove organic waste is to do a water change or clean out your mechanical filter media...in other words, physically remove waste from the water column. I don't see how these little pellets can absorb something and make it disappear. I don't mean to get philosophical here, but can something be turned into nothing?

To be clear, I don't think that anything will replace a good old fashioned water change in regards to maintaining excellent water quality; I can't speak to any of the claims about raising redox or of removing nitrates, but I would have to say that if you are looking to achieve extra crispy water, in my experience, this stuff is the ticket.

Disclaimer: I can only speak to my experience...your results may vary.

Before and After Pix:

IMG_0336.JPGIMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Purigen doesn't physically remove the compounds, but from how I understand it they are absorbed and "locked up" in the pellets where they can't effect the water parameters. This is why it turns from white to a dark brown/black over time-it is the organic compounds that have been removed from the water. When you recharge it by soaking it in the bleach mixture the bleach is what breaks down the organics and removes them from the purigen so it is capable of removing more. It is not a a replacement for water changes, nothing can be, but it is helpful in controlling levels and clearing up your water.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Purigen doesn't physically remove the compounds, but from how I understand it they are absorbed and "locked up" in the pellets where they can't effect the water parameters.
This is the part I don't understand. Purigen does seem to act like a magnet and soak stuff up like a sponge, but regardless of whether it's floating around in your tank, or if it's caught in some form of filter media, it's still in the water column. A filter sock full of waste is going to have en effect on your water parameters. I don't get how Purigen full of waste is not going to be any different...it's still in the water, so I would think the effects of the waste would still be present.

I've read through some of the forums on Seachem's website, and from what I gather, it doesn't even look like they fully understand how it works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store