Serious issues going on.. SOS

Octohalie

Feeder Fish
May 23, 2017
I'll try to make this quick and as to the point as possible..

Recently moved my well established 90g back into my house. Was so excited about having it back in my possession, that I got excited and went and bought 3 opaline gouramis and two small clown loaches to add to the larger 4 I already had- to make a nice school. Well, because I stooped to newb level when I did that without a qtank, I realized that someone brought ick/ich. I have dealt with this years ago and knew what I was looking for so I caught it pretty quickly. I only saw about three white spots on all of the fish total, and only a couple were flashing. It started with the gouramis. This was the 7th of this month. I immediately did a pwc and started to up the temp and add aq salt for treatment as I've had good luck with this treatment with loaches before. During these two weeks, I've done a 50% wc and vacuumed every 2-3 days taking out ab 15g in the process and replacing any lost salt. The temp has been at 86 and the salt is 1tbp per 5 gallons. So, it's been two weeks.. And I've lost one of the baby loaches (that I didn't see any spots on, but I'm thinking died more from stress of the new surroundings along with the high Temps and salt) and I'm still seeing ich. I'm not sure what's going on and why it's not gone..

But now I have another issue on top of that. One of my larger loaches is extremely bloated. She's been staying more to herself, without the group and I haven't seen her eat anything in a couple of days. I've tried giving her shelled peas, but she stays in her hut a lot so I'm not sure she's eating any. And today, I couldn't find the baby loach I recently got. so I go to search for him and find him in the same condition.. And he didn't look this way 2 days ago. Color is very pale, bloated and eyes look as if they're starting to bulge. I'm assuming this is a case of dropsy?.. My water conditions are;

Ph 7.6
Am 0
NitrITes 0
Nitrates - 40

stock:
1 Large blood parrot
5 clown loaches (ranging from 2-6")
Red tail shark
German blue ram
11 rosey tetras
3 opaline gouramis

I have API super ich cure on hand that has malechite green.. I've been hesitant to use it unless I HAVE to. But the heat and salt doesn't seem to be doing the trick as it's still lingering. I can only visibly see a few spots combined. But it's certainly still there and flashing is still happening. And then this dropsy mess..

I'm assuming the big move from one house to another stressed my fish out tons and then adding new fish didn't help.. Especially since they must have brought the ick with them. It's time for another big WC but I'm out of aq salt.. So I'm wondering.. What do I do?? Get more salt and continue this method and hope for the best?.. Do serveral large water changes to remove salt, lower temperature a bit and try meds at half dose? What about the dropsy?.. Should I go buy and set up a qtank for them? Lower that heat some, do small water changes to remove salt then treat with antibiotics and Epsom baths? Ive read stories about dropsy killing off an entire species and I'm really worried.. The loaches are my BABIES! I've had them more than four years and I really don't want to lose them. I feel terrible for not qt the new fish.. But my water conditions have been pretty dang pristine since having moved the tank here. I'm just so confused right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: I'm aware the clowns need a bigger tank sooner than later and I am saving the money now to make that happen.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'll try to make this quick and as to the point as possible..

Recently moved my well established 90g back into my house. Was so excited about having it back in my possession, that I got excited and went and bought 3 opaline gouramis and two small clown loaches to add to the larger 4 I already had- to make a nice school. Well, because I stooped to newb level when I did that without a qtank, I realized that someone brought ick/ich. I have dealt with this years ago and knew what I was looking for so I caught it pretty quickly. I only saw about three white spots on all of the fish total, and only a couple were flashing. It started with the gouramis. This was the 7th of this month. I immediately did a pwc and started to up the temp and add aq salt for treatment as I've had good luck with this treatment with loaches before. During these two weeks, I've done a 50% wc and vacuumed every 2-3 days taking out ab 15g in the process and replacing any lost salt. The temp has been at 86 and the salt is 1tbp per 5 gallons. So, it's been two weeks.. And I've lost one of the baby loaches (that I didn't see any spots on, but I'm thinking died more from stress of the new surroundings along with the high Temps and salt) and I'm still seeing ich. I'm not sure what's going on and why it's not gone..

But now I have another issue on top of that. One of my larger loaches is extremely bloated. She's been staying more to herself, without the group and I haven't seen her eat anything in a couple of days. I've tried giving her shelled peas, but she stays in her hut a lot so I'm not sure she's eating any. And today, I couldn't find the baby loach I recently got. so I go to search for him and find him in the same condition.. And he didn't look this way 2 days ago. Color is very pale, bloated and eyes look as if they're starting to bulge. I'm assuming this is a case of dropsy?.. My water conditions are;

Ph 7.6
Am 0
NitrITes 0
Nitrates - 40

stock:
1 Large blood parrot
5 clown loaches (ranging from 2-6")
Red tail shark
German blue ram
11 rosey tetras
3 opaline gouramis

I have API super ich cure on hand that has malechite green.. I've been hesitant to use it unless I HAVE to. But the heat and salt doesn't seem to be doing the trick as it's still lingering. I can only visibly see a few spots combined. But it's certainly still there and flashing is still happening. And then this dropsy mess..

I'm assuming the big move from one house to another stressed my fish out tons and then adding new fish didn't help.. Especially since they must have brought the ick with them. It's time for another big WC but I'm out of aq salt.. So I'm wondering.. What do I do?? Get more salt and continue this method and hope for the best?.. Do serveral large water changes to remove salt, lower temperature a bit and try meds at half dose? What about the dropsy?.. Should I go buy and set up a qtank for them? Lower that heat some, do small water changes to remove salt then treat with antibiotics and Epsom baths? Ive read stories about dropsy killing off an entire species and I'm really worried.. The loaches are my BABIES! I've had them more than four years and I really don't want to lose them. I feel terrible for not qt the new fish.. But my water conditions have been pretty dang pristine since having moved the tank here. I'm just so confused right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: I'm aware the clowns need a bigger tank sooner than later and I am saving the money now to make that happen.

Welcome to MFK☺ Sorry to hear that you are going through this it seems that you are doing everything to correct to get rid of the ich. Tbh I don't have any answer for the bloat but some experienced members will chime in.
C Coryloach

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store