Severum bullying

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe cichlids (including oscars and severums) need at least a minimum of 10 gallons per inch of adult fish to keep aggression down. Aggression is all about too big a fish in, in essence, what is a puddle.
So as and example 3 ten inch severums, need at least 100 gallons.
Oscars will reach 14-15" as adults. A pair need minimum 150 gal tank.
Anything less and you are bound to have unchecked aggression.

Reactions: magpie

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Your issue with aggression is cause by the small space they are confined in. A 75g is barely doable for a single oscar only. You'd have a tough time keeping one alive in that. A 20g for all of those fish is crazy even at their current size. Unless you do extreme water changes they will not live long.

Reactions: magpie

smjack

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2016
Yes, if you bought a pair, its asking for trouble, esp if m/f. Return 1 of the oscar or rehome. Also had trouble with severum ( I had 4). I bought driftwood with lots of branches. Peace at last.

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
65g is too small for an Oscar considering they can get absolutely HUGE. I'd say you're pushing your luck with just a single pair of Severums.

Might I interest you in another species? A group of 4 Festivums OR 5-6 Keyhole Cichlids OR 5-6 Angelfish would work in 65g and they kind of have that Severum look and behaviour.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store