Severums have laid eggs, what's next?

Chelsea15

Feeder Fish
Mar 8, 2018
Wisconsin
I have a male green severum and a female gold spotted, they are alone in a 55gal and have been a mating pair since the first day they were in the tank. They have laid eggs twice now and have eaten them. Since they are alone in the tank I am not sure why they keep doing that. I first thought maybe they just werent ready but it looks like the male is the only one eating the eggs (after they have been fertilized) so my question is; should I remove the rock and put it in a different tank after they have changed colors? Or what should I do so I can have some baby severums?

Thank you!!

20180427_192418.jpg 20180427_192424.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a male green severum and a female gold spotted, they are alone in a 55gal and have been a mating pair since the first day they were in the tank. They have laid eggs twice now and have eaten them. Since they are alone in the tank I am not sure why they keep doing that. I first thought maybe they just werent ready but it looks like the male is the only one eating the eggs (after they have been fertilized) so my question is; should I remove the rock and put it in a different tank after they have changed colors? Or what should I do so I can have some baby severums?

Thank you!!

View attachment 1314618 View attachment 1314619

I suggest seeding a sponge filter in the main aquarium and next time they spawn take the object with the fertilized eggs and transfer to a separate aquarium a ten gallon or larger will do also will need air stone.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store