severums

kh89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
Colorado
I have a redhead severum and a green or turquoise severum in my 55. My green?turquoise? severum is always getting beat up. At first, I thought it was my firemouth because it would always flare up at the severum and nip at it. Now, I am leaning more towards my redhead severum because after watching a lot, he is deff. doing more nipping and chasing.

If I add a female will things get better or worse? Are there any other ways I can try and cut down the agression level between the two?

If I do add a female, how can I sex it at the store? (I think both of my severums are males, however, I am not positive.)

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Two male Cichlids of the same species will, by nature, not get along.

Adding a female will probably produce a spawning pair which will be even worse for the weaker (unpaired) male…

I would consider removing the tougher Sev… giving him his own tank and a female to go with it… if that’s not an option I’d suggest removing and rehoming one of your Sevs….

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
How about keeping your favorite male out of the two? Trade the other for a female, remove the firemouth and breed them.

Bobears

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Hoovering south of the ham
I'd like to know how old they are? Sometimes dominance changes with age. I have had to move one severum before, but that was the only time. Oh and the one I moved wasn't growing as fast and was very submissive, even to a krib.

jasonmac978

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
MASS
I have been looking for a Redhead/Rotkeil for a while. I will gladly take him off your hands. Let me know...

kh89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
Colorado
I set up a 20 for the redhead today. I will see how things go and if my other fish are still being too mean to my smaller severum, then I will figure out what to do from there. I really don't want to have to give either of them away, the smaller has been a fav. of mine ever since I got him. And my boyfriend surprised me with the redhead one day :) But If this doesn't work ..we will see how things go ...:)

Lady G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Wisconsin
Hey, I have room in my tank for ONE more fish;)

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Severums seem to have a fair amount of conspecific aggression, but you'll find that as they get larger and spend more time together it will slowly sort itself out.

I recommend keeping the two together unless it's stopping the victim from feeding or is causing serious damage. If it's just a scuff here and split fin there, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

I wouldn't add a female. Severums are also very difficult to sex until they're larger. Just keep things how it is unless things worsen as I mentioned. They're generally peaceful fish that tend to have a bit of a mean streak or bully attitude when they're younger. I wouldn't be overly concerned about life threatening or long term damage/bullying.

Lady G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Wisconsin
japes;1438646; said:
Severums seem to have a fair amount of conspecific aggression, but you'll find that as they get larger and spend more time together it will slowly sort itself out.

I recommend keeping the two together unless it's stopping the victim from feeding or is causing serious damage. If it's just a scuff here and split fin there, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

I wouldn't add a female. Severums are also very difficult to sex until they're larger. Just keep things how it is unless things worsen as I mentioned. They're generally peaceful fish that tend to have a bit of a mean streak or bully attitude when they're younger. I wouldn't be overly concerned about life threatening or long term damage/bullying.
HEY!!! Your suppose to say...."I think you should send one to G"!!:irked:
LOL, just kidding of coarse!!! Good luck:D

fishlover88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2006
Aurora, CO
unfortunately having seen the severums up close, its not just short sruffs and then they seperate, and the damage is getting beyond fin damage. Its up to body damage. and before the missing scales become wounds and then infected, we are gonna have to seperate just to get them healed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store